Chinese Beef with Honey and Black Pepper Sauce
Viet Nam News
with Chef Nguyễn Văn Tuân from Fortuna Hanoi Hotel
Let’s sample this smoking hot dish to welcome the new summer!
Ingredients: serves 3-4
For the sauce:
· 3 tbsp soy sauce
· 3 tbsp honey
· 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
· 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry (or substitute with chicken or beef stock)
· 2 tbsp water
· 1 tsp roughly crushed black pepper (or 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper)
For stir fry:
· 1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil (or vegetable or canola oil)
· 1 garlic clove , crushed
· 1 small onion , sliced (or 1/2 large onion)
· 500g thinly sliced flank , rump, sirloin, fillet or any other cut of steak suitable for stir frying
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large heavy based skillet over a high heat until it is smoking.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until the onion becomes translucent. Keep it moving so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the beef and stir fry for 40 seconds to 1 minute until just cooked to your liking (depending on the size of the pieces, how heavy based your wok is, strength of stove). Remove beef and onion onto a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium high. Pour the sauce ingredients into the wok. It will start simmering very quickly. Let it cook for 1 minute until it becomes syrupy - the bubbles will be larger and a caramel colour.
- Add the beef and onion back into the wok, along with any juices pooled on the plate. Toss in the sauce until just warmed through - 1 minute at most. Be careful not to overcook the beef.
- Serve immediately with rice.
You can enjoy the dish at Fortuna Hotel, 6B Láng Hạ St, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: (84 – 4) 3831 3333 – 6435/6437/6413. Website: email@example.com |fortuna.vn.