Viet Nam News
with chef Nguyễn Văn Tuân from Fortuna Hanoi Hotel
An easy-to-make dish to start off a fresh weekend. Cheers!
Ingredients: serves 4
- 4 pork chops, about 1-inch thick and 6 to 7 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp chili powder (see our homemade chili powder recipe)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
Salt to taste
To make pork chops:
- Take the pork chops out of the refrigerator and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Set the chops aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the spice rub. In a small bowl, mix the flour, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika.
- After 30 minutes, use a paper towel to pat the pork chops dry then rub both sides of the chops with the spice rub.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet (with lid) over medium-high heat. As soon as the oil is hot, add the pork. Cook until golden, 2 to 3 min. Flip the pork so that the seared side is facing up.
- Reduce the heat to low then cover the skillet with a lid. Cook 6 to 12 min or until an instant-read thermometer reads 62oC when inserted into the thickest part of the chop.
- (Since cooking time depends on the thickness of the chops, check at 5 minutes then go from there, checking every 2 min). If you do not have a thermometer, you will know they are done, if when cutting into the chops, the juices run clear.
- Transfer pork chops to a plate then cover loosely with aluminum foil. Let the pork rest for 5 min.
- While the pork rests, make the sauce. Increase the heat to medium-high then add the chicken stock, vinegar, and honey. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan to get stuck bits of pork. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half.
- Taste then adjust the seasoning with salt, more vinegar or honey. Slide the skillet off of the heat and when the sauce is no longer simmering, swirl in the butter. Slide the pork chops back into the pan and spoon some of the sauce on top. Alternatively, slice the chops then place back into the pan. Scatter fresh parsley over the pork then serve.
You can enjoy the dish at Fortuna Hotel, 6B Láng Hạ St, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: (84 – 4) 3831 3333 – 6435/6437/6413. Website: email@example.com |fortuna.vn.