Viet Nam News
CAIRO – Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli has visited the hospital where a group of Vietnamese tourists are being treated after a roadside bomb killed four people, including three Vietnamese.
A Vietnamese News Agency correspondent in Cairo said the group was on a tour operated by HCM City-based Saigontourist.
It is believed the group were on their way to a show at the pyramids when the bomb was detonated.
Survivor Lê Thị Ngọc Lan, 41, told Reuters: “We were going to the sound and light show and then suddenly we heard a bomb. It was terrible, people were screaming.
“I don’t remember anything after that.”
Late on Friday Egyptian PM Madbouli visited Al Haram Hospital where the injured are being cared for.
He said Egyptian officials have been in contact with the Vietnamese Embassy, and the Egyptian tourism minister would meet with the Vietnamese Ambassador in Cairo soon.
The PM emphasised medical assistance for the tourists as the most important thing right now.
The incident occurred when a bus carrying a group of Vietnamese tourists along with a guide and a driver of Egypt was hit by a roadside bomb at 18:15 (23:15 of December 28, Hà Nội time).
The explosive device was placed near a wall along the Mariyutiya Street in Al-Haram district near the Giza Pyramids.
According to the Vietnamese Embassy, there were 18 people on the bus at that time, including 15 Vietnamese and three Egyptians.
Authorities in Cairo confirmed an Egyptian was killed along with the three Vietnamese tourists.
One of them is identified as Nguyễn Thúy Quỳnh, 46. Quỳnh was travelling with her husband, Lê Đức Minh, who sustained an injury on his right hand, Thanh Niên (Young people) reported.
After the attack, all victims were rushed to Al-Haram hospital in Giza province. Two slightly injured Vietnamese were later brought to the Vietnamese Embassy to be cared for.
So far no one has claimed responsibility for the bombing but Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Hafez described the attack a "despicable terrorist act."
Armed security personnel quickly deployed to the site and cordoned off the area for inspection.
Việt Nam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs had asked the Vietnamese Embassy in Egypt to work with local authorities to ensure legal rights for Vietnamese citizens. In case of emergency, the embassy can be reached at hotline number +201060396518 (Egypt) or via the hotline number for citizens protection of the foreign affairs ministry +84981848484. Another number of the ministry’s consular department can be resorted to is +84965411118.
By noon today, the Egyptian Embassy in Việt Nam is expected to issue visas for families of the Vietnamese victims in Egypt so they can visit their loved ones. — VNS
Security personnel cordon off the damaged bus following the bomb attack in Giza. - AFP Photo