|Vehicles run through a section of Pháp Vân-Cầu Giẽ Expressway. — VNA/VNS Photo Việt Hùng|Viet Nam News
HÀ NỘI — The second phase of a project to broaden Pháp Vân-Cầu Giẽ Expressway, the southern gateway to Hà Nội, from four lanes to six lanes is scheduled to be completed before June 30.
The phase has been taken under the Build-Operate-Transfer model, with a total investment of VNĐ4.73 trillion (US$208 million) by Pháp Vân-Cầu Giẽ BOT Company.
Phạm Văn Khôi, general director of the company, said the land clearance for the second phase was 95 per cent complete so far. He said the company would speed up the remaining works to meet the deadline of June 30.
The project’s first phase was started in July 2014 and was completed in November 2015, with the four-lane expressway measuring 25m in width.
Soon after, the company continued to implement the second phase. According to the initial plan, the second phase was to build a six-lane expressway with a width of 33.5m and make it operational by the end of 2017. But the project was delayed due to lack of land clearance.
Khôi attributed the situation to cumbersome administrative procedures.
Meanwhile, to avoid traffic jams during Tết (Lunar New Year), Khôi said vehicles would be allowed to run through several finished parts of the second-phase expressway.
The company would put up signs to inform drivers on which sides to drive, he said. The Ministry of Transport has given the green light to the company to put up signs. — VNS