Viet Nam News
with chef Yukari Ikeda from Fortuna Hanoi Hotel
Matcha Roll Cake is a Matcha flavoured sponge cake rolled with Anko (sweet red bean) whipped cream. This western style dessert has traditional Japanese flavours, however, it is light enough to be a perfect ending after any kind of meal.
Ingredients: serves 1
To make the cake:
· 50g cake flour
· 1 tbsp Matcha powder
· 3 eggs, room temperature
· 80g sugar, divided into 2/3 and 1/3
· 2 tbsp vegetable oil
To make the filling:
· 200ml heavy cream
· 1-2 tbsp sugar
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 150g Anko (sweet red bean paste)
Chef Yukari Ikeda
- Preheat the oven at 350F (180oC). Line a quarter sheet pan (9"x13") with parchment paper. Sift cake flour and Matcha powder together a couple of times.
- Baking the cake. First divide eggs into whites and yolks. In a bowl of a standing mixer, put in egg whites and beat at medium speed, forming a meringue. When the egg whites are still very soft, start adding 2/3 of sugar in 3 parts. Whip until it forms medium peaks.
- In a medium size bowl, put yolks, oil, and rest of the sugar and whisk well until thick and lighter in colour.
- Remove 1/4 or so of the meringue and fold into the yolk mixture. Then put this combination into the bowl of meringue. Mix very carefully without deflating the foam too much. Add flour and Matcha mixture by sifting into the egg mixture, and carefully mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spread evenly with a spatula, and bake for 8-10 minutes. Take out from the oven, cool in the pan completely, covered with plastic.
- To make the filling, whip heavy cream along with sugar and vanilla to medium stiff peaks, but not grainy. Fold in Anko to whipped cream.
- Assembling the cake. Remove the cake from the pan and remove the parchment paper from the cake. Put a new piece of parchment paper under the cake. Place the short end of the cake towards you. Spread filling on the cake, leaving 2" uncovered on the other end. From the one side (near you) of the cake, start rolling. Tighten the cake using parchment paper like making sushi rolls. Wrap the cake with the parchment end side down. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
You can enjoy the dish at Fortuna Hotel, 6B Láng Hạ St, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: (84 – 4) 3831 3333 – 6435/6437/6413. Website: email@example.com | fortuna.vn.