Viet Nam News
with chef Nguyễn Văn Tuân from Fortuna Hotel Hanoi
This dish is a must for a freezing weekend. Our best advice is to try it with peppercorns. Enjoy!
Ingredients: serves 4
· 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
· 500g (18 ounces) beef filet or other tender cut, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
· 2 tsp oyster sauce
· 1 tsp Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
· 2 tsp potato starch
· 2 tsp soy sauce
· 1 tsp sesame oil
· 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
· 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
· 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
· 1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- Put the peppercorns in a mortar and use a pestle to crush them into large pieces. You don’t want any whole peppercorns, but it should be very coarse.
- Put the beef into a bowl and add 3/4 of the black pepper, along with the oyster sauce, Shaoxing, potato starch, soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix thoroughly and let this marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a wok or cast iron skillet over high heat until hot. Add the oil, and then immediately add the beef, leaving any marinade in the bowl for later. Fry one side until browned, and then use a hard spatula to stir-fry until the outside of the beef is cooked and browned. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and onions, and continue stir-frying. Add the remaining marinade and stir-fry until the onions are cooked.
- Transfer immediately to a plate and garnish with the remaining black pepper.
You can enjoy the drink at Fortuna Hotel, 6B Láng Hạ St, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: (84 – 4) 3831 3333 – 6435/6437/6413. Website: email@example.com/fortuna.vn.