|An official from the Ministry of Public Security at a press conference on Tuesday. — Photo infonet.vn|
HÀ NỘI — The Ministry of Public Security has asked the Supreme People’s Procuracy of Việt Nam to prosecute six people for illegally helping Vietnamese citizens to flee to Europe.
The announcement was made at a press conference held by the ministry on Tuesday afternoon in Hà Nội.
The ministry said it had finished investigation into the case, which involved Dong Guo Li and accomplices illegally organising Vietnamese citizens to reach Europe.
According to the ministry’s investigation, Dong Guo Li, from China, and his accomplices had illegally organised for 22 Vietnamese people to flee abroad at a cost of US$17,000-40,000 each between April and July 2018.
The cost depended on the destination country.
Dong Guo Li and his accomplices would take Vietnamese people to countries in ASEAN using authentic passports, and then used fake Chinese passports so they could enter countries such as Bosnia and Sri Lanka, before illegally reaching European countries.
Dong Guo Li and two Malaysian nationals – Wong Chong Hiong and Ooi Gee Yik – had gone to Việt Nam, co-operating with three Vietnamese accomplices to teach the migrants Chinese for their journey to Europe.
Major General Lý Anh Dũng, head of the ministry’s Security Investigation Agency, said at the press conference there is no evidence linking this ring to the 39 Vietnamese victims who died in the United Kingdom earlier this year.—VNS