Thursday, August 16 2018

VietNamNews

VN supports Laos to recover from dam collapse

Update: July, 27/2018 - 07:00
Vietnamese doctors prescribe medicines to prevent common diseases in flood-prone areas for Lao citizens. — VNA/VNS Photo Quang Thái
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI — Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc has instructed the National Committee for Disaster Response and Search and Rescue, to coordinate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant agencies to work out best measures to assist Laos after the collapse of a dam.

The PM wants to hear back by next week.

Việt Nam donated US$200,000 as relief aid for the Lao government to help the country in the aftermath of the collapse of the Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower dam.

Numerous other Vietnamese agencies and companies have also sent in their donations to help the victims in the incident. 

Vietnamese Ambassador to Laos Nguyễn Bá Hùng handed over a money collected by Embassy staff and its agencies to support the victims. 

Later the same day, representatives of the General Association of Vietnamese People in Laos and the Vietnamese Association in Vientiane also presented 50 million LAK (US$5,950 USD). 

The High Command of Military Region 5 of Việt Nam asked its South Laos Friendship Co. Ltd. to send 10 medical workers and hundreds of personnel to join rescue and relief efforts. 

The company donated $8,645 to purchase essential goods for local residents affected by the incident, while K53 team under the Military Command of the Central Highlands province of Kon Tum, which was on duty in Laos, was requested to coordinate with Lao forces to search for missing people and help affected residents to overcome the aftermath. 

Kon Tum province’s Military Command was also required to prepare personnel, vehicles and materials to coordinate with relevant forces of Laos in surmounting the consequences of the floods when it is ordered by the High Command. 

The Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower dam collapsed at 20:00 on Tuesday, releasing 5 billion cu.m of water which completely isolated Sanamxay district. 

Lao Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith said at a press conference on Wednesday that the dam collapse has already affected 13 villages and is now affecting six others as the flood is still flowing. 

He said that 587 families with 3,060 people have been made homeless, 26 people have died and 131 people are still missing. 

No Vietnamese missing in Lao dam break

Lao authorities confirmed that no Vietnamese citizens are reported missing after the disastrous dam break in Attapeu, the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday.

After the Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower dam collapsed on Tuesday, Vietnamese Consulate in Pakse dispatched officers to the scene to work with the authorities of the two provinces of Champasak and Attapeu where the dam water flooded local villages.

While there was no Vietnamese missing, 15 households of Vietnamese citizens living in flooded area were evacuated to safe place. Another 26 workers of the Vietnamese group Hoàng Anh Gia Lai previously trapped in a submerged rubber plant were lifted by helicopter back to the group’s office in Attapeu and would soon return to Việt Nam.

The Vietnamese foreign ministry asked Việt Nam representatives in Laos and the neighbouring Cambodia of which the northern region was also flooded from the dam water to closely follow up the incident and proactively provide support for affected Vietnamese families in the two countries. VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: