Coastal provinces ban vessels from going to sea ahead of typhoon Rai

December, 17/2021 - 17:27
Coastal provinces have started to ban vessels going out to sea to ensure safety ahead of typhoon Rai. 
Vessels anchor at Đông Hải Fishing Port to avoid typhoon Rai in the coastal central province of Ninh Thuận.— VNA/VNS Photo Nguyễn Thành

HÀ NỘI — Coastal provinces have started to ban vessels going out to sea to ensure safety ahead of typhoon Rai. 

The typhoon is forecast to have complex and unpredictable developments as it enters the East Sea.

The typhoon, with the strongest wind speeds near its eye reaching 150km-185km per hour, and is moving west-northwest at 10-25km per hour, is predicted to weaken before entering the East Sea on Friday night, according to the National Centre for Hydro-meteorological Forecasting.

"Although it is forecast to weaken before it enters the East Sea, it is still a very strong typhoon," said Trần Quang Năng, head of the centre's Weather Forecasting Office.

The typhoon has formed a danger zone for vessels in the East Sea since Friday from 8.5-14.0 degrees North latitude to 113.5 degrees East. All vessels operating in the danger zone are at high risk of being affected by strong winds, high waves and tornadoes, the centre warned.

Ninh Thuận Province’s administration decided to apply the ban from 2pm yesterday.

Lê Huyền, deputy chairman of the provincial People’s Committee, said the committee had ordered all relevant agencies to actively take measures to cope with the typhoon to minimise damage.

"All forces are mobilised to prepare for the typhoon," he said.

Data from the province shows that 2,261 of 2,524 vessels were safely anchored at local ports by noon yesterday. The remaining vessels were told about the typhoon’s developments to actively find safe shelter.

In Quảng Trị Province, the local administration has also banned vessels from going to sea from 7pm yesterday to ensure safety. The province has also issued an urgent message to order its units to prepare for the typhoon.

It told relevant agencies to inform all local vessels of the typhoon’s developments to find anchorage. Besides, it also ordered relevant agencies to create favourable conditions for vessels of other provinces to anchor if needed.

In addition to banning vessels from going to sea, coastal provinces have also quickly taken measures to prepare for the typhoon.

In Bến Tre Province, the local authority has made plans to evacuate people living in high-risk areas of landslides and floods, to safe places in compliance with COVID-19 pandemic prevention and control regulations.

About 1,300 vessels have been safely anchored to avoid the typhoon so far. The provincial Border Guard Command has continued to reach 149 offshore vessels to inform the typhoon’s developments and tell them to find safe shelter.

In Khánh Hoà Province, 50 fishing vessels, carrying 500 fishermen of Quảng Nam, Quảng Ngãi, Bình Định, Phú Yên and Khánh Hoà, already anchored at docks of Song Tử Tây Island, belonging to Trường Sa (Spratly) Archipelago as of Friday morning to avoid the typhoon.

In Nghệ An Province, the local authority has also checked the safety of the local dyke system and reservoirs to ensure safety as well as arranged rescue forces in emergencies.

In a related movement, Deputy Prime Minister Lê Văn Thành on Thursday night signed and promulgated the Dispatch No 1737/CĐ-TTg on emergency response to typhoon Rai in the East Sea.

The dispatch says this is a very strong and fast-moving typhoon, occurring at the end of the stormy season with very complicated developments.

Therefore, Thành told the National Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control as well as relevant ministries and agencies to promptly deploy the response to the typhoon according to their assigned functions and tasks. — VNS

 

E-paper