Egg white with scallops and broccoli
with chef Patrick Ho from Fortuna Hanoi Hotel
Called 'Choi Pong Hai' in Cantonese, this is a famous Chinese dish that uses egg whites to make it look and taste like crab meat. Now the chef of Fortuna Hanoi Hotel brings you Choi Pong Hai in his own style. Enjoy!
Ingredient: serves 1
1 egg white
100 ml milk
30g dried scallop
6 scallops, chopped
White pepper to taste
A pinch of salt for boiling broccoli
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Oil to taste
chef Patrick Ho
- Bring water to a boil in a pot and add a pinch of salt and broccoli. Let cook for two minutes.
- Put the broccoli into a bowl of iced water to stop it from cooking further and to preserve the bright green colour.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp cornstarch and milk together.
- Whisk the mixture into egg white.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.
- Cook egg white for 30 seconds in the hot oil and strain the oil from the scallop.
- Heat up a little bit of oil in the wok and cook the scallop and dried scallop then mix half of them with the egg white.
- In a separate pan heat up the chicken stock. Once boiled, quickly run the egg white and scallops through the stock and strain.
- Plate the broccoli, then add the scallops. Serve with a hot bowl of rice.
This dish can be enjoyed at Fortuna Hotel Hanoi, 6B Láng Hạ Str, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: 04 3831 3333, ext 6160 or visit fortuna.vn.