Quảng Ninh lift National Super Cup

December 30, 2016 - 09:51

Quảng Ninh Coal won the National Super Cup, beating Hà Nội Football Club (Hà Nội FC) 4-2 on a penalty shootout at Hà Nội’s Hàng Đấy Stadium yesterday.

Sầm Ngọc Đức (in yellow) from Hà Nội team vies for the ball against Nghiêm Xuân Tú (red) of Quảng Ninh Coal. VNA/VNS Photo Quốc Khánh
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI — Quảng Ninh Coal won the National Super Cup, beating Hà Nội Football Club (Hà Nội FC) 4-2 on a penalty shootout at Hà Nội’s Hàng Đấy Stadium yesterday.

The scores were level at 3-3 at the end of regular time.

It is the first Super Cup that Quảng Ninh have won, and is a good preparation for the National Football Championship kicking off next week.

Quảng Ninh walked away with a cash-prize of VNĐ300 million (US$13,200), while Hà Nội pocketed VNĐ200 million ($8,800).

Quảng Ninh’s Patiyo Tambwe was awarded a cash prize of VNĐ10 million ($442) for his first goal of the game.

Despite playing away from home turf, the visiting Quảng Ninh team set up an offensive play against the powerhouse Hà Nội FC  with the service of newly recruited players Phạm Nguyên Sa and Giang Trần Quách Tân from SHB Đà Nẵng and Hanoian Dương Thanh Hào, and new striker Congolese Patiyo Tambwe.

Tambwe, who was the best scorer of the National Football Championship V. League in 2015, headed home for Quảng Ninh in the 4th minute from his teammate’s cross.

Hà Nội FC’s maestro Phạm Thành Lương equalised in the 28th minute when he curved a free kick to beat Quảng Ninh’s goalkeeper Tuấn Linh.

The hosts, who won the V. League trophy last year, regrouped to launch more attacks against Quảng Ninh in the second half.

In a rapid attack in the 49th minute, Nguyễn Văn Quyết was fouled by Quảng Ninh’s defender Nguyễn Minh Tùng. Quyết then netted the ball from a spot kick to help Hà Nội take a 2-1 lead.

In the 58th minute, Vũ Minh Tuấn of Quảng Ninh displaying good teamwork with Thanh Hiền launched a counter-attack.

Hiền raced with the ball on the right wing to set up an accurate cross in the penalty area for Tuấn to net the ball in from close range.

Congolese Tambwe once again scored to help Quảng Ninh lead 3-2 in the 74th minute when he volleyed a lob from Hải Huy.

Hanoian captain Gonzalo Marronkle equalised the Super Cup final with a close range header in the 78th minute.

The two teams failed to net the ball during the remaining time, leading the final to the penalty shootout.

Quảng Ninh’s goalkeeper Linh parried spot kicks from Gonzalo and Duy Mạnh, while Vũ Minh Tuấn, Mạc Hồng Quân, Hải Huy and Brazilian defender Ramon did not make any mistakes with their shots.

Quảng Ninh, which finished fourth in the previous season, will also participate in two other competitions — the National Cup and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup.

Quảng Ninh will start the V. League with Hà Nội FC in the Hàng Đẫy Stadium on January 7.

The national Super Cup, which has been a curtain-raiser of the national football championships since 1999, was a match between the national premier football championship V-League and the National Cup winner. — VNS