Indonesia book AFF final after a second leg 2-2 draw with Việt Nam

December, 07/2016 - 23:20

Indonesia snatched a 2-2 draw after extra time away to Việt Nam in the semi-final of the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Cup at Mỹ Đình Stadium yesterday.

Vietnamese fans supported the national squad on the stand. — VNA/VNS Photo Đoàn Tùng
Viet Nam News

Hà Nội — Indonesia snatched a 2-2 draw after extra time away to Việt Nam in the semi-final of the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Cup at Mỹ Đình Stadium yesterday.

Indonesia won 4-3 on aggregate after two legs, booking their place in the final of the regional football championship.

In the first leg on December 3, Indonesia beat Việt Nam 2-1 in Bogor, Indonesia.

Indonesia will meet the winner of the other semi-final between Thailand and Myanmar.   

Việt Nam started the game on the front foot, with the team only needing a 1-0 win to earn a spot in the final due to the away goal rule.

However, the hosts struggled to finish their early chances, as the Vietnamese strikers were foiled by a solid Indonesian defence.

Indonesia, managed by Việt Nam team’s former coach Austrian Alfred Riedl, employed a disciplined defence throughout the first half.

The visitors left only Boas Solossa up front position with support from Stefano Lilipaly.

Vietnamese captain Lê Công Vinh struggled in the semi-final, missing several clear sights of goal.

In the last minute of the first half, Vinh struck the post with a header when well positioned.

Striker Nguyễn Văn Toàn of Việt Nam (left) vies for a ball against an Indonesian player during their AFF Cup semi-final, second leg match on Dececmber 7 at the Mỹ Đình Stadium in Hà Nội. — VNS Photo Đoàn Tùng

During the break, Vietnamese coach Nguyễn Hữu Thắng implored his charges to push forward and grab the goal they needed.

In the 51st minute, Vinh failed to turn home a glorious chance from Đinh Thành Trung’s cross.

Lilipaly broke the deadlock, capitalising on silly errors from Vietnamese goalie Nguyên Mạnh and defender Đình Đồng to score in the 54th minute.

The goal silenced the 40,000 Vietnamese fans at Mỹ Đình Stadium.

Lilipaly then went clean through to the face Vietnamese keeper, but his shot went over the bar in the 63rd minute.

The hosts’ misery was compounded when keeper Mạnh received a straight red card in the 77th minute.

Defender Quế Ngọc Hải donned the gloves as Việt Nam had already used the maximum three substitutions.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, in the 82nd minute, Phạm Thành Lương found Vũ Văn Thành from a free kick and Thành hit the back of the net.

Việt Nam pushed forward looking for the equaliser on aggregate in the final minutes, and their efforts were rewarded.

Substitute Vũ Minh Tuấn was played through by Thành Lương and beat Indonesian keeper Kunia Meiga with a low shot, giving Việt Nam a 2-1 in the 94th minute.

The goal brought the game into extra-time, with the two teams deadlocked at 3-3 after two legs.

The hosts’ luck ran out in the fourth minute of the first half of extra-time, with stand-in keeper Quế Ngọc Hải fouling an Indonesian player in the penalty area.

Manahati Lestusen made no mistake from the spot kick, equalising on the night at 2-2, and sending Indonesia to the final with a 4-3 aggregate win. — VNS