Passengers on flight VN0036 from Frankurt (Germany) wait their turn to check in Việt Nam at Vân Đồn International Airport in the northern province of Quảng Ninh early yesterday. They were all sent to quarantine areas at Grand Hạ Long Hotel (voluntarily paid) and a collective army camp. The Ministry of Health yesterday evening confirmed seven more cases who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 that causes COVID-19, bringing the total in Việt Nam to 141 so far. — VNA/VNS Photo
HÀ NỘI — The Ministry of Health has asked health departments of localities nationwide to review infection prevention measures at hospitals to prevent cross infection.
The move was made after the first doctor in Việt Nam was infected with the novel coronavirus while treating COVID-19 patients.
The 29-year-old doctor works at the emergency department of the Central Tropical Diseases Hospital branch in Đông Anh District.
He has taken part in work for COVID-19 epidemic prevention at the hospital since January 31. The man screened and treated suspected COVID-19 patients, as well as participated in emergency care for patients in severe conditions. During his work, he was provided with full personal protective equipment. After work, he stayed in the isolation area for medical staff in the hospital.
He showed symptoms of coughing, muscle aches and fever on March 20.
On March 21, he started his self-isolation in the emergency department's buffer zone. His sample then tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.
Deputy Minister of Health Nguyễn Trường Sơn said medical workers need to strictly follow infection prevention rules at hospitals.
He suggested medical workers proactively prevent infection while caring for and treating COVID-19 patients.
He proposed the Central Tropical Diseases Hospital to enhance infection prevention work and pay more attention to health checks for medical workers in direct contact with patients, particularly those in critical condition.
The ministry plans to buy an additional 30 million face masks for medical workers.
Deputy Minister of Health Sơn had a working session with the hospital on Tuesday to look into the treatment for COVID-19 cases, especially serious ones.
The hospital is treating 46 COVID-19 patients, including 34 Vietnamese and 12 foreigners.
Notably, its intensive care department is tending to three serious cases, comprising a 64-year-old Vietnamese woman, a 50-year-old Vietnamese man and a 69-year-old British man.
Lương Ngọc Khuê, Director of the Health Ministry’s Department of Medical Examination and Treatment Management, said as the hospital handles serious cases, it needs to review its operating procedures and equipment and report the situation to the ministry to seek solutions if necessary.
Deputy Minister Sơn highly valued efforts by all the staff of the hospital and asked the hospital to better care for its staff so that they won’t be overloaded. Besides, it needs to build more response plans in case the number of patients surges.
Severe cases will receive treatment at higher-level hospitals, including the Central Tropical Diseases Hospital, while mild ones will be moved to others. VNS