A section of Nguyễn Trãi Street under the Cát Linh - Hà Đông urban railway in Hà Nội.— Photo baogiaothong.vn
HÀ NỘI — Hà Nội’s Transport Department has spent roughly US$4.7 million to upgrade a section of road connecting the streets of Nguyễn Trãi, Trần Phú and Quang Trung in the districts of Thanh Xuân and Hà Đông.
The streets run under the Cát Linh – Hà Đông urban railway project.
The upgrade was necessary because much of the route had been dug up to make way for the project, said Ngô Mạnh Tuấn, deputy director of the department.
Infrastructure for the project was basically completed, but road surfaces were uneven, posing a high risk of traffic accidents, he said.
The upgrade was scheduled for completion by the end of this year, online newspaper Giao thông (Transport) reported.
Tuấn said as planned, the city would spend about VNĐ59.5 billion (US$2.5 million) to improve a 3.4km section of Nguyễn Trãi Street, VNĐ32.8 billion ($1.4 million) to upgrade a 3.1km section of Quang Trung Street and more than VNĐ17.4 billion ($751,000) to repair a 2.3km section of Trần Phú Street.
The funding, totalling nearly VNĐ110 billion (about $4.7 billion), would be drawn from the city’s budget, he said.
Tuấn said repair units would fix cracks and uneven spots between 10pm and 5am every day to avoid affecting traffic.
After fixing the problems, the streets would be repainted and divided into six lanes with digital traffic signs, he added.
Bus routes changed
In another move, the transport department has decided to change bus routes that run along the streets of Lê Đức Thọ and Lê Quang Đạo until January 7, 2020 to make way for construction of a race track for the Việt Nam F1 Grand Prix 2020.
The No 26 will start from Tân Mỹ Street instead of Lê Đức Thọ Street, and the No 50 will switch from Lê Đức Thọ Street to Vân Canh urban area in Hoài Đức District. The No 104 will change from Lê Đức Thọ Street to Mỹ Đình 1 urban area, and the No 84 will stop on Mỹ Đình Street instead of Lê Đức Thọ Street.
The No 74 will run along Phạm Hùng and Thăng Long Boulevard instead of Phạm Hùng – Mễ Trì – Lê Quang Đạo – Thăng Long Boulevard as before.
Previously, the department banned all coaches and truck from Lê Đức Thọ and Lê Quang Đạo and the intersection of Lê Quang Đạo and Mễ Trì between October 19 and December 10.
The department will ban all vehicles from the two streets and the intersection between December 10 and January 7, 2020.
The department has submitted a proposal to the People’s Committee to direct relevant agencies to co-operate to ensure traffic flow in the city during the ban. — VNS