A long line of vehicles wait for hours to reach Gót Wharf to get to Cát Bà Island on April 30. – Photo tuoitre.vn
Viet Nam News
HẢI PHÒNG — Hải Phòng City’s Department of Transport has planned to ban passenger buses with more than 29 seats to Cát Bà Island during weekends from June 22.
The move is aimed at easing the traffic load between Gót Wharf to the centre of the island due to a high number of tourists during summer.
Accordingly, buses with a capacity of more than 29 seats will not be allowed on the route from Friday to Sunday.
Trucks will also be banned during peak hours: between 8am and 7pm from Monday to Thursday and between 5am and 9pm from Friday to Sunday.
The department will mobilise staff to support passengers to load and unload their luggage and guide buses to park at the designated parking lot, which is some 500m from the wharf.
The transport department has also asked Hải Phòng Road JSC to provide 20 small buses to transport passengers for free from Cái Viềng wharf to the centre of the island.
Nguyễn Văn Phong, director of Hải Phòng Road and Waterway Traffic Project Management Board, told Tuổi Trẻ (Youth) newspaper that the board was upgrading the road leading to Gót Wharf to three lanes from the current two lanes.
The anchoring area of Gót and Cái Viềng wharves will also be upgraded to ensure that four barges can anchor at the same time instead of the present two.
The work will be completed by the end of this month, Phong said.
According to statistics of Cát Hải District’s People’s Committee, 385,000 tourists visited Cát Bà Island in the first five months of this year, an increase of 60 per cent compared to the same period last year. – VNS