Tuesday, November 13 2018

VietNamNews

Redundant charger blamed for fire in HCM City

Update: April, 02/2018 - 15:00
The scene of the fire which occurred at ParcSpring building in HCM City’s District 2, causing panic among hundreds of residents. — Photo vietnamnet.vn
Viet Nam News

HCM CITY — Initial investigation in a fire at ParcSpring building in HCM City’s District 2 revealed that the fire had started from a charger plugged in the bedroom, online newspaper Vietnamnet reported.

The charger was reportedly plugged on for several days, which caused it to overheat and catch fire, burning a pile of books, computers and mattress, said a representative of District 2’s Fire Fighting and Prevention Office.

The incident was reported at 6pm on Sunday when residents of the building detected smoke coming out of the apartment on the eighth floor. Hundreds of panicked residents of the building started to flee.

Four fire engines and dozens of fire-fighters immediately rushed to the scene and extinguished the fire in some half an hour. No casualty was reported, but all furniture inside the apartment was burnt down.

The incident took place just a week after a fire broke out at Carina Plaza in HCM City on March 23, killing 13 people and injuring 50.

Following the deadly fire, the district authorities have started to conduct fire safety inspections of all buildings in the locality.

ParcSpring is a project of a property developer, CapitaLand, and became operational in 2011.

The fire safety system of the building was inspected two days earlier, the newspaper reported. The fire alarms worked normally on Sunday, and people escaped to safety using the stairs.

Further investigation into the incident is underway. — VNS

 

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: