Saturday, December 15 2018

VietNamNews

One dies after sleeping near coal stove

Update: November, 27/2018 - 17:00
Nguyễn Thị Thanh Nhàn recovered after being hospitalised for smoke inhalation on Sunday. — VNA/VNS Photo Tá Chuyên
Viet Nam News

NGHỆ AN — One person has died after inhaling noxious fumes from a coal stove, doctors at a hospital in Nghệ An Province have said.

Three other members of the same family have been discharged after recovering.

The victims included Nguyễn Thị Thanh Nhàn, 35, her 75-year-old father, her mother, 70, and her new-born daughter, according to doctors at Nghệ An Hữu Nghị General Hospital.

The four patients were unconscious when they were admitted to the hospital on Sunday morning. According to relatives, they suffered from smoke inhalation after sleeping in the same room with a coal-burning stove to keep warm.

Nhàn’s father is determined to have died in hospital.

Doctor Nguyễn Xuân Kính warned against using coal burners indoors, saying that they can produces gases such as sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide that can cause respiratory inflammation or suffocation in a closed room.

This is not the first time such a practice has resulted in tragedy. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: