US singer-songwriter John Prine performs onstage during the 2019 Songwriters Hall Of Fame Gala in New York . — AFP Photo
NEW YORK — Grammy-winning American singer John Prine will reschedule upcoming tour dates after doctors advised him he faced a stroke risk and needed surgery, his family said on Tuesday.
"In consultation with his doctors, John has been advised that he has an elevated risk for a stroke. He will have surgery this week to insert a stent which will remedy the issue," read a statement on his Instagram signed by the 72-year-old performer's family and record label.
"He looks forward to a full and speedy recovery."
A prolific songwriter and often whimsical performer, Prine last month was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He has had past surgeries for cancer in his neck and lung.
The statement said Prine's eight-date summer concert schedule would be shifted back, with the next date, a July 28 show at Colorado's Red Rocks venue, moved to September 18.
"All original tickets will remain valid" and refunds are available at the point of purchase the statement said. "Thank you for your support and understanding."
The news comes months after Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger, 75, also underwent a heart procedure, causing a rash of fan fear as the British rockers postponed a string of tour dates.
The ever-energetic Jagger returned to the stage last month and the Stones are currently playing the rescheduled dates. — AFP