|Electric meters are mistakenly connected. — Photo kenh14.vn|
A woman in Hà Nội was shocked when she received her family's electricity bill in May and June had increased by three to four times against previous months for no apparent reason.
All four members of K.A.'s family on Đê La Thành Street, Ba Đình District went out to school and work during the day, only staying at home in the evening, so the monthly electricity bill was normally VNĐ400,000-500,000 (US$22).
However, in May, the family's electricity bill was more than VNĐ1.7 million ($74). Thinking that the weather was unusually hot, both electricity consumption and cost might increase, she still paid the full amount.
But after she received June’s bill of VNĐ1.9 million ($82) from Hà Nội Power Corporation (EVN Hanoi) and read reports of inaccurate power bills, she decided to send a complaint to EVN Hanoi.
Employees of EVN Hanoi came to check and discovered the family's electric meter has been mistakenly connected to the neighbour's house.
Meanwhile, the neighbour's family restaurant had to pay only a few hundred thousand for their electricity bill in the two months.
A representative of EVN Hanoi said Ba Đình District Power Company and the Đê La Thành Street power management team were responsible for the error.
Two officials of Ba Đình District Power Company received disciplinary warnings and an officer of Đê La Thành Street power management team was dismissed, according to local press.
Sometimes, you can fight the power and win. — VNS