Viet Nam News
Tartare of Norwegian Salmon, crushed avocado with dill, heirloom radish and soy ginger emulsion
by cluster executive chef Roxanne Castillo from Hilton Ha Noi Opera and Hilton Garden Inn Ha Noi
It might sound like an empty cliché to say: “A salad is not a meal, it’s a lifestyle.” But salad is nearly always welcome these days, when the summer is at its peak. Cool yourself down and tickle your taste buds with our divine appetizer, made with tartare of Norwegian salmon, crushed avocado with dill, heirloom radish and soy ginger emulsion.
Ingredients: serves 10
For salmon gravlax:
1kg Norwegian salmon fillet
250g brown sugar
250g rock sea salt
15g white pepper
1 cup dill
For crushed avocado:
500g avocado, ripe
250g cucumber, peeled, diced
2.5 tsp lime
2.5 tsp dill, chopped
5 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
For soy ginger emulsion:
60g Japanese soya sauce
30g rice wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
Chef Roxanne Castillo
- Combine white pepper with salt, sugar and dill. Place 2 large pieces of cling wrap on a work surface, slightly overlapping. Spread half the salt mixture in the shape of the salmon.
- Place salmon on salt, skin side down. Top with remaining salt mixture.
- Wrap with cling wrap. Place in a large dish. Top with something flat (like small cutting board) and then some weights (3 x 400g / 14oz cans).
- Refrigerate for 12 hours. There will be liquid in the dish. Turn salmon over, then replace weights and return to fridge. After another 12 hours, turn salmon over again, replace weights. After another 12 hours, remove salmon from fridge. This recipe calls for 36 hours total for medium cure.
- Unwrap salmon, scrape off salt and then rinse. Pat dry. Then dice for tartare.
- Combine avocado and cucumber in a bowl, toss together with lime and extra virgin olive oil, season to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, olive oil and sesame oil. Season with pepper.
- Using a mold, spoon in avocado mixture, topped with salmon tartare, scaled with red radish salad and drizzle with soy ginger emulsion and olive oil. Garnish with edible flower.
You can sample this appetizer at Ba Miền restaurant, R Floor, Hilton Hà Nội Opera, 1 Lê Thánh Tông St, Hoàn Kiếm Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: +84 (0) 24 3933 05 00, ext. 1656.