|A Tibetan Mastiff.— Illustrative photo.|Viet Nam News
HÀ NỘI — An eight-month old baby girl has died two hours after being bitten by a 40-kg Tibetan Mastiff dog on Thursday afternoon at a home on Hà Nội’s Đội Cấn Street.
The dog was raised as a family pet. The incident occurred when the baby’s mother was cleaning and the baby was playing nearby. Without warning, the dog attacked the infant. The mother tried to stop the dog but failed.
The baby was taken to the Việt Nam – Germany Hospital in critical condition, the Voice of Việt Nam (VoV) online newspaper reported.
Lê Việt Khánh, deputy head of the hospital’s Gastrointestinal Emergencies Department said the child was pale and suffering severe blood loss when she was hospitalised. She also had multiple head injuries.
“At that time, we already recorded her blood pressure at zero without feeling her blood vessels,” he said.
After trying for two hours, doctors failed to save the child.
Khánh added that families should not allow their children near dangerous dogs to avoid heart-breaking accidents.
According to doctors, if children are bitten by dogs, they need first aid and to stop the bleeding. They should then be taken to the nearest health clinic for treatment. — VNS