Welding sparks likely caused bar fire near Bến Thành Market in HCM City

October, 17/2022 - 17:09
The fire at a bar on HCM City’s Thủ Khoa Huân Street may have been caused by sparks from welding during repair work, HCM City’s Department of Fire Fighting and Prevention has said.
Firefighters put out a fire at District K bar near Bến Thành Market in HCM City. VNA/VNS Photo Thành Chung

HCM CITY — The fire at a bar on HCM City’s Thủ Khoa Huân Street in an area just close by the famous Bến Thành Market may have been caused by sparks from welding during repair work, HCM City’s Department of Fire Fighting and Prevention has said.

By 11am on Monday, the fire at District K bar at 30 Thủ Khoa Huân Street, District 1, had been brought under control after more than an hour.

The fire engulfed an area of 300 square metres and did not cause any casualties.

Black smoke was seen coming out of the bar after loud blasts at about 9.30am on Monday.

The blaze spread quickly due to the presence of flammable materials.

The fire incident site. — VNA/VNS Photo Thành Chung

83 firefighters and soldiers and 12 vehicles were sent to extinguish the blaze.

District K bar belongs to Cafe District K Restaurant Limited Company. It has been temporarily closed since May due to violations of fire prevention regulations.

However, the bar has continued to operate illegally.

On October 5, District 1 Police, in coordination with relevant agencies, fined the bar for flouting the closure order. — VNS

E-paper