Nguyễn Phú Trọng, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Việt Nam and State President of Việt Nam, was voted to stay on for a third term as Party leader during Sunday meeting of the 13th-tenure Party Central Committee. — VNA/VNS Photo Trí Dũng
HÀ NỘI — Nguyễn Phú Trọng, the incumbent General Secretary of the Communist Party of Việt Nam, was voted to hold the position for the next five years on Sunday in the first plenum of the recently elected 13th-tenure Party Central Committee.
This will be Trọng’s third term as the leader of the Party, following his stints on the 11th and 12th Party Central Committee.
Trọng, born in 1944 in Hà Nội’s Đông Anh Commune, has been a Party member since 1967.
The 200 members of the committee on the same day also voted for the 18 members of Politburo, five members of the Party Secretariat, and 19 of the Inspection Commission along with the commission head.
Below is the full list of the Politburo members and their current positions:
- Nguyễn Phú Trọng, General Secretary, State President
- Nguyễn Xuân Phúc, Prime Minister
- Phạm Minh Chính, Head of the Party Central Committee's Organisation Commission
- Vương Đình Huệ, Secretary of Hà Nội Party Committee
- Trần Tuấn Anh, Minister of Industry and Trade
- Nguyễn Hoà Bình, Chief Justice of the Supreme People’s Court
- Lương Cường, Director of the Việt Nam People’s Army’s General Department of Politics
- Đinh Tiến Dũng, Minister of Finance
- Phan Văn Giang, Deputy Minister of National Defence, Chief of the General Staff of the Việt Nam People’s Army
- Tô Lâm, Minister of Public Security
- Trương Thị Mai, Head of the Party Central Committee’s Commission for Mass Mobilisation
- Trần Thanh Mẫn, Chairman of the Việt Nam Fatherland Front
- Phạm Bình Minh, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Nguyễn Văn Nên, Secretary of HCM City Party Committee
- Nguyễn Xuân Thắng, President of the Hồ Chí Minh National Academy of Politics and Chairman of the Central Theoretical Council
- Võ Văn Thưởng, Head of the Party Central Committee's Commission for Publicity and Education
- Phan Đình Trạc, Head of the Party Central Committee's Commission for Internal Affairs
- Trần Cẩm Tú, Chairman of the Party Central Committee's Inspection Commission
The list can be found at this link.
Trần Cẩm Tú will continue to serve as the head of the Inspection Commission, which was tasked with enforcing the Party's regulations, addressing corruption and deliberating disciplines for offenders among the Party rank.
The General Secretary and the Politburo of the 13th tenure will be introduced to the 13th National Party Congress on Monday, the final working day, and Trọng is expected to deliver the closing speech.
Later in May, the general election for the 15th-tenure of the National Assembly will be held, and the National Assembly will elect the State President and Prime Minister. The Prime Minister will then propose to the National Assembly new cabinet members.— VNS
The first Plenum of the 13th-tenure Party Central Committee was held on Sunday. — VNA/VNS Photo