Trần Quang Hoài, deputy head of the Central Steering Committee on Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, chairs a meeting yesterday in Hà Nội to direct localities preparing for Typhoon Etau. — VNA/VNS Photo
HÀ NỘI — Central localities have been instructed to prepare carefully for the possibility of two consecutive storms making landfall – the 12th and 13th storms to enter the East Sea (internationally known as South China Sea) this year.
Trần Quang Hoài, deputy head of the Central Steering Committee on Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, issued the warning while chairing a meeting on Monday morning to direct preparations for the Storm Etau.
Storm Etau, the 12th of the year, was forecast to make landfall in coastal provinces from Bình Định to Ninh Thuận at 10am on Tuesday morning, bringing torrential rainfall of 100-400mm for provinces from Quảng Bình to Khánh Hoà between Monday afternoon and Thursday, according to the National Centre for Hydro-meteorological Forecasting.
The 13th storm was forecast to develop from a tropical low-pressure system on Thursday morning and hit the central region on Saturday, said Mai Văn Khiêm, director of the centre.
Hoài ordered all relevant agencies to inform offshore fishing vessels about the developments of the 12th typhoon, and ensure the safety of tourists based on nearby islands as well as labourers working in aquaculture areas.
All forces must be ready in case of emergencies, he added.
He also said many houses that collapsed in the central due to recent storms had not yet been rebuilt, so localities needed to ensure safety for those without homes.
The localities were also tasked to actively make plans to evacuate local residents living in high areas of landslides and flash floods to safe places, he said.
Inspectors should check local reservoirs to ensure the safety of people living nearby, he added.
Senior Lieutenant Colonel Nguyễn Đình Hưng, deputy head of the Search and Rescue Office under the Border Guard Command, said that nearly 290,000 fishermen had been told about the developments of Storm Etau and advised to find safe anchorage by 6am on Monday.
Also Monday morning, the Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control said that more than 403,000 people, mainly living in the provinces of Bình Định, Phú Yên, Khánh Hòa, Ninh Thuận and Bình Thuận, would be evacuated due to Storm Etau.
Phú Yên Province banned vessels from sailing from 10am Monday, while Khánh Hòa Province put a ban on sailing at 6pm. — VNS