Monday, September 16 2019

VietNamNews

NA leader calls for stronger AIPA-ASEAN partnership

Update: August, 27/2019 - 08:01

 

National Assembly Chairwoman Nguyễn Thị Kim Ngân addresses the first plenary session of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA)’s 40th General Assembly in Bangkok on Monday. — VNA/VNS Photo Trọng Đức

BANGKOK – The ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) actively supports regional efforts to realise and associate the ASEAN Vision 2025 with the UN Agenda 2030 on sustainable development.

It also supports ASEAN’s initiatives in strengthening regional connectivity, especially in environmental protection, climate change response and reduction of plastic waste and ocean debris.

The statement was made by National Assembly Chairwoman Nguyễn Thị Kim Ngân while addressing the first plenary session of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA)’s 40th General Assembly in Bangkok on Monday.

She proposed AIPA focus on a number of issues, including the realising of international law, the forming and sharing of ASEAN principles and norms of conduct of the ASEAN, and the reinforcement of solidarity and unity among the member countries as well as the association’s central role in the regional architecture and the coping with problems impacting peace, security and stability in the region.

The AIPA should reform its organisation and operation to further promote its efficiency, she said.

The NA leader called on the AIPA members to review their domestic legal document system to increase the legal harmonisation and mutual recognition, serving the implementation of master plans for the ASEAN Community building.

She underlined the need for closer cooperation in IT in ASEAN, the region and the whole globe to optimise resources and supports in technique, technology and finance to enhance national capacity in adapting with the Fourth Industrial Revolution and narrow digital gaps, as well as deal with cyber security matters.

Ngân also stressed the need for stronger communications on the ASEAN and the AIPA among the community.

She said ASEAN member countries should continue reinforcing solidarity and unity, promoting the grouping’s central role and deepening its collaboration with partners, confirming the role of the association as a motivation for strengthening dialogue, cooperation and development processes in the region.

Meeting with Moroccan, Cambodian leaders

Việt Nam values the development of its relationship with Morocco, NA Chairwoman Ngân said at a meeting with Speaker of the Moroccan House of Representatives Habib El Malki on the sidelines of the AIPA 40 on Monday.

She suggested both sides increase the exchange of delegations at all levels to elevate bilateral relations.

Việt Nam will continue to support Morocco at international forums, she said, recommending both sides promote co-ordination in regional and international bodies, particularly at the UN, the International Organisation of Francophonie and the Non-Aligned Movement.

NA Chairwoman Ngân said the two countries should work to enhance the efficiency of the joint committee and political consultation mechanisms and boost local collaboration.

She also spoke highly of Morocco’s participation in AIPA meeting and invited El Malki and a high-ranking delegation from the Moroccan House of Representatives to attend the next edition in Việt Nam in 2020 when the Southeast Asian country takes the ASEAN chairmanship.

El Malki said he will lead a delegation to the event. He expressed his hope the Vietnamese NA will help his country become an observer of the AIPA like the Vietnamese Government has supported the African nation's research about ASEAN.

Later the same day, NA Chairwoman Ngân met Cambodian NA President Samdech Heng Samrin.

She said she believed effective co-operation between legislative bodies of Việt Nam and Cambodia would help enhance relations between the two countries.

She proposed the Cambodian NA create conditions for exchanges and meetings between young parliamentarians of both sides.

She praised the two countries’ efforts to complete 84 per cent of the land border demarcation and marker planting work, saying they should soon complete the remaining 16 per cent to build a border of peace, friendship and development.

Cambodian NA President Samrin expressed gratitude to the Party, State, Government and people of Việt Nam for assisting Cambodia and its people in escaping the genocidal Pol Pot regime and aiding in the country’s development. — VNS

  • Tags:

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: