with Executive Chef Rene Oskam from JW Marriott Hotel Hanoi
A traditional Christmas dish, let this honey-glazed ham decorated with aromatic herbs double as your Christmas table centrepiece before carving it into thick slices.
1 cup maple syrup 1 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp mustard 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp allspice
- Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
1 whole ham on the bone 2 fresh oranges, squeezed
- Carefully remove the skin of the ham, leaving the fat intact.
- Score the fat with a small knife, making small squares.
- Put cloves in the corners.
- Place on a rack in the oven.
- Pour half of the glaze over the ham, spreading it out.
- Bake the ham at 160oC, glazing regularly.
Side dishes (2 portions)
Baby carrots: 120 gr Olive oil: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 1 clove Butter: 1 tbsp
Maple syrup: 1 tbsp Salt & pepper
- Peel the baby carrots, leaving the green on.
- In a hot pan, roast the carrots with the garlic clove and salt and pepper in olive oil. When they are almost cooked, add the maple syrup.
Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon
Brussels sprouts: 200 gr Bacon: 60 gr
Butter: 30 gr Salt & pepper
- Clean the sprouts, removing the outer leaves.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick pan over a low heat.
- Add the sprouts, cook them until the outside is caramelised and the inside is still “al dente”. Add butter, toss, and season with salt and pepper.
Roast pumpkin with cinnamon, black pepper, rosemary and honey
Pumpkin: 1 Rosemary: 20 gr (chopped)
Honey: 1 cup Fresh black pepper
Sea salt Ground cinnamon
- Peel the pumpkin carefully and slice into wedges. Place the wedges in an oven-proof tray. Cook in a hot oven until they start to caramelise.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and glaze the pumpkin wedges with the mixture. Finish cooking in the oven.
Potatoes, peeled: 200 gr Butter
Sea salt Olive oil
Rosemary, sage, and thyme
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until almost cooked. Remove them from the water.
- In a hot roasting tray, pour in some olive oil. Add the potatoes, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Place in a hot oven and finish cooking, tossing carefully every 5 minutes.
You can join the JW Culinary School for weekend cooking classes conducted by multi-talented chefs from JW Marriott Hotel Hanoi.
For details, visit https://portal.marriott.com/hanjw-dining/events/hanoi/jw-culinary-school-hanoi, or dial the hotline +84 24 3833 5588.