Pan Fried Scallops
Viet Nam News
with chef Kevin Philippe from Millenium Café des Arts Hanoi
This week, French chef Philippe presents you a nutritious and tasty dish made from scallops. Enjoy!
Ingredients: serves 5
3 scallops without coral
7 cloves black garlic
2g lecithin (emulsifier)
To make the focaccia:
Salt to taste
35cl warm water
10cl olive oil
180g black olives
1 red onion
10 baby carrots
5 cherry tomatoes
5 baby corns
5 black olives
To make the fish broth:
1kg fish bones
Thyme and bay leaves to taste
100cl white wine
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Start with the focaccia; in a bowl mix the flour, the yeast and a pinch of salt using a wooden spoon. Then add the water and mix again, finish by adding olive oil and black olives. Cover it with a cloth, let it sit for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- During this time, prepare the fish broth; rinse the fish bones and coarsely chop the aromatic filling. Start by gently cooking the fish bones with olive oil then add the filling; cook for 3 to 4min and deglaze with the white wine, add water to cover everything.
- The broth has to be cooked at a low heat for 10 to 15min, the liquid should not boil. Once the broth is ready, gently filter it to obtain a clear broth.
- Prepare a high-rimmed oven dish lined with baking paper for the focaccia. Put the dough in the oven dish and let it sit for one hour and a half in a warm place.
- Prepare the mini garden; cook the baby carrots, asparagus, mushrooms and baby corns. Finely slice the zucchinis lengthwise and fry. Chop the onion, tomatoes, black olives and radishes.
- Cook the focaccia in the oven at 230°C for 10 to 15min.
- Once the focaccia is cooked, slice pieces that are about 2cm wide, spread some “caviar d’aubergines” (eggplant caviar) and arrange the vegetables however you desire.
- Finally prepare the emulsion, mix the fish broth and black garlic, add lecithin and heat until boiling.
- Quickly warm up the mini garden.
- Put a non-stick skillet over a high heat stove, season scallops with salt and white pepper and cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Mix the black garlic sauce with a plunging blender incorporating a maximum of air.
- Add the mini garden, the scallops and place the emulsion with a spoon.
You can sample the dish at Millenium Café des Arts, 11A Bảo Khánh St, Hoàn Kiếm Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: (024) 38287207.