Three die from mushroom poisoning

April 03, 2018 - 15:00
Four members of a family were poisoned after consuming mushrooms in Thuận Hòa Commune in the northern mountainous Hà Giang Province’s Vị Xuyên District last Wednesday.
Many kinds of toxic mushrooms are found in the northern provinces, including Amanita Verna and Amanita Virosa, all deadly fungi. — VNA/VNS Photo Dương Ngọc
Viet Nam News
HÀ NỘI — Three members of a family were poisoned and died over the weekend after consuming mushrooms collected from the forest.
Sùng Diêu Hồng, 52, from the northern mountainous province of Hà Giang, had reportedly collected mushrooms from the forest for breakfast on Wednesday.
At 3pm that day, Hồng and his wife, 48-year-old Thào Thị Vá, their 28-year-old son Sùng Văn Hoàng and his wife Lý Thị Pà showed symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea and dizziness. They were taken to the provincial hospital for emergency treatment.

Despite receiving intensive care, Hoàng and Vá died due to extreme poisoning on March 31 and April 1, respectively. Pà also died at the hospital the following day.

Hồng was in a critical condition and has been transferred to the Hà Nội-based Bạch Mai Hospital’s Anti-Poison Centre for further treatment. — VNS

The youngest victim of toxic mushrooms, Pà, was 23 years old, said Trần Văn Học, head of Emergency and Anti-Poison Centre at the Hà Giang Province General Hospital, on Monday. ---VNS