Viet Nam News
with chef Allen Cha from JW Café Restaurant, JW Marriott Hotel, Hanoi
Ginseng Chicken Soup
The hottest month of the year is approaching! Let’s learn how Koreans combat the fierce heat with this traditional ginseng chicken soup. This chicken stuffed with rice, ginseng and nuts will keep your energy levels up and regulate your body temperature in the weather. Don’t forget you can eat the whole chicken as you savour every last drop of this soup.
Ingredients: serves 1
0.4kg fresh small chicken
0.05kg fresh ginseng
0.1kg whole garlic
0.2kg glutinous rice
0.05kg dried red jujube
0.1kg spring onion
0.05kg salt, pepper
0.4kg chicken stock
Ginkgo, chestnut, seok yi mushroom to taste
- Stuff the chicken with garlic, ginkgo, chestnut, jujube, glutinous rice and ginseng. Then tie the chicken leg tightly.
- Put the onion and the remaining garlic, ginseng and glutinous rice in the pot and boil for one hour.
- Put the chicken in the same pot and simmer for one more hour.
- Meanwhile, pan-fry the egg and slice thinly.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and serve it in an earthen bowl.
- Garnish the chicken with sliced leek, egg and seok yi mushroom.
You can sample the dish at the JW Café Restaurant, JW Marriott Hanoi, 8 Đỗ Đức Dục Road, Mễ Trì Dist, South Từ Liêm, Hà Nội. Tel: +84 38 335588 (ext 1125). Facebook.com/jwcaferestaurant.