|Hawker chef Ngô Thành Bửu|
Ngô Thành Bửu runs an online shop that specialises in tofu street food đậu hũ rau răm Thành Hý (Thành Hý shop's fried tofu with laksa leaves). His business offers a wide variety of addictive, tasty fried tofu snacks and toppings that are popular with young foodies.
His shop began gaining popularity a few years ago when the new hot street snack fried tofu sandwich (which originated in the Mekong Delta) became a viral sensation among street food lovers in HCM City.
Bửu reveals how to make this simple yet tasty snack.
|3-in-1 Deep Fried Tofu|
For the tofu
- 2 bars of tofu (200g)
- 10 quail eggs
- 1 patty of vegan pork (sườn chay)
- 1 stick of dried tofu skin
- Oil to deep-fry
For the garnish
- 10g laksa leaves
- 10g fried shallots
- 50g chicken floss
- 50g beef floss
For the chilli oil
- 50g ground fresh chilli
- 15g sugar
- 5 tbsp oil
- Wash and dry the laksa leaves.
- Boil quail eggs for 10 minutes, then de-shell and cut them in half.
- Cut the tofu bar into small cubes.
- Soak the vegan pork patty in water until fully soft, squeeze out excess water and cut into smaller bits.
- Cut the tofu skin into shorter pieces.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a pan and deep-fry the tofu, vegan pork, and tofu skin until golden and crispy.
- Let them rest on a strainer or oil-absorbing paper to remove excess oil.
- Thoroughly combine the chilli and sugar.
- Heat 5 tbsp of oil in a pan, then put in the chilli mixture and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Plate the fried tofu, vegan pork and tofu skin.
- Finely chop the laksa leaves and scatter them on top.
- Add quail eggs and the two types of floss.
- Pour the chilli oil on top and garnish with some fried shallots.
- The dish can be eaten with some kinds of condiments. — VNS