|Newly-elected PM Nguyễn Xuân Phúc is sworn into the office after the election. — VNA/VNS Photo An Đăng|
HÀ NỘI Viet Nam News -— The National Assembly elected Nguyễn Xuân Phúc as Prime Minister this morning with 446 approval votes, or 90.26 per cent of the total deputies in the legislature.
A resolution on the election was adopted with the support of 474 deputies (96.15 per cent).
The newly-elected PM was sworn into the office after the election.
In the ceremony, Phúc expressed thanks to the NA for trusting him to take the position as Prime Minister.
He pledged to be absolutely loyal to the nation, the people, and the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, and to make all-out efforts to fulfill the duties assigned by the Party, State and people.
As new Prime Minister, he vowed to listen to opinions and aspirations of nationwide compatriots and do the best to address any shortcomings and fulfill the socio-economic development goals.
The newly-elected PM also committed to promoting reform and international integration, accelerating administrative reform, and creating favourable business and investment environment.
The Government will spare no effort to promote democracy, strengthen discipline in the State apparatus and the whole society, while improving efficiency of the fight against corruption and wastefulness, persistently and resolutely defending the national independence, sovereignty, unification and territorial integrity, he said.
The newly-elected PM will submit a nomination list of Deputy Prime Ministers and members of the Government to the NA at following working sessions.
The following is the brief biography of the new Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc :
1. Full name: Nguyen Xuan Phuc
2. Date of birth: July 20, 1954
3. Native land: Que Phu commune, Que Son district, Quang Nam province
4. Permanent Residence: Dien Bien Ward, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
5. Ethnic group: Kinh
6. Religion: None
- General education: 10/10
- Academic Degree: Bachelor of Economics at Hanoi National Economics University (1978)
- Foreign languages: English (B level), Russian (B level)
8. Workplace: The Government Office
9. Date of Party admission: May 12, 1982; date of official membership: November 12, 1983.
10. Member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam (10 th , 11 th and 12 th tenures; Politburo member (11 th and 12 th tenures)
11. Deputy of the National Assembly (11 th and 13 th tenures)
12. Deputy of the People’s Council of Quang Nam province in the 1999-2004 and 2004-2011 tenures.
- 1966-1968: Going to revolutionary base and then was taken to the north for education
- 1968-1972: High school
- 1973-1978: Student at Hanoi National Economics University (NEU).
- 1978-1979: Working at Quang Nam – Da Nang Economic Management Board
- 1979-1993: Cadre; Deputy Chief; Chief of the Office of Quang Nam – Da Nang Provincial People’s Committee; Studying State administration at Vietnam National
Academy of Public Administration
- 1993-1996: Director of the Tourism Department; Director of the Planning and Investment Department of Quang Nam-Da Nang Province; Member of the provincial Party Committee (15th and 16th tenures); Studying political theory at Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and economic management at National University of Singapore
- 1997-2001: Standing member of the Quang Nam Provincial Party Committee (17 th and 18 th tenures); Deputy Chairman and later Permanent Deputy Chairman of Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee and Head of the Management Board of Quang Nam Industrial Zones; member of the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Council (6th tenure);
- 2001-2004: Vice Secretary of the Quang Nam Provincial Party Committee (18th tenure); Chairman of Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee; National Assembly deputy (11th tenure); Member of the 11 th National Assembly’s Economic and Budgetary Commission;
- 2004 – 2006: Vice Secretary of the Quang Nam Provincial Party Committee (19 th tenure); Chairman of the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee; Deputy of the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Council (7th tenure); National Assembly deputy (11th tenure); Member of the 11 th National Assembly’s Economic and Budgetary Commission;
- March 2006 – May 2006: Deputy Inspector General; Elected to the Party Central Committee at the 10th National Party Congress;
- June 2006 – August 2007: Member of the 10 th Party Central Committee; Permanent Vice Chairman of the Government Office; Member of the 11 th National Assembly’s Economic and Budgetary Commission;
- August 2007 – January 2011: Member of the 10 th Party Central Committee; Minister - Chairman of the Government Office; Member of the Party Committee of the Government; Head of the Prime Minister’s Task Force for Administrative Procedure Reform;
- January 2011 – July 2011: Member of the Politburo (11th tenure); Minister - Chairman of the Government Office;
- August 2011 – present: Member of the Politburo (11th and 12th tenures); Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the Vietnam-Laos Inter-governmental Committee; Head of the Steering Committee for the North-west Region; Head of the Government’s Steering Committee for Crime Prevention and Control; Head of the National Steering Committee for Prevention and Control of Smuggling, Trade Fraud and Fake Commodities; Head the Government’s Steering Committee for Administrative Reform; Chairman of the National Traffic Safety Committee; Vice Chairman of the Steering Committee for Corruption Prevention and Fight; Vice Chairman of the Steering Committee for Judicial Reform
- April 7, 2016: Elected as Prime Minister at the 11th working session of the 13th National Assembly. — VNA/VNS