|An IT company in Quang Trung Software City in HCM City’s District 12 has put up tents for its employees to stay amid the social distancing. IT firms have been providing on-site accommodation and meals for staff to keep their business running. – Photo ictnews.vietnamnet.vn|
HCM CITY – Information technology companies in HCM City have been providing their workers room and board on-site to keep their business running while also limiting the spread of COVID-19.
Since July 13 the city has been only allowing businesses to remain open if they can provide accommodation and food to their workers.
Trần Phúc Hồng, deputy general director of TMA Solutions, said his company has been allowing workers to work from home since May, and so business has not been affected much by the social distancing.
Since the social distancing period could be extended further, TMA is looking for new solutions, he said.
Swiss Post Solutions Co., Ltd. has 90 per cent of its staff working from home, and the other 10 per cent staying on its premise for work that involves confidential data.
The company utilises internal communication channels to keep their workers connected.
Many IT companies at Quang Trung Software City (QTSC) in District 12 have provided accommodation for their staff, and QTSC itself has on-site staff for management and assisting businesses.
Nguyễn Thị Điệp, business director of DIGI-TEXX Co in QTSC, said since many projects involve confidentiality, staff cannot work from home.
When the city required businesses to provide on-site accommodation, the company procured tents and other items for sleeping and essential goods for nearly 100 workers within a day, she said.
Staff’s physical and psychological well-being are taken care of, with nutritious meals and spaces for daily exercise, she said.
However, Lê Thị Bích Loan, deputy head of the Saigon Hi-tech Park management board, said only around 40 per cent of businesses are able to maintain critical activities by having workers live on-site.
Many use low-cost labour and so have to worry about high accommodation overheads, she added.
HCM City is the COVID epicentre of the country with more than 43,000 cases since the fourth outbreak began in late April. Social distancing began on May 31, with more stringent preventive measures invoked from July 9 under the government's Directive 16. – VNS