|Hương Pagoda Festival. — File Photo|
Gióng Temple Festival
Sóc Temple, Phù Linh Commune, Sóc Sơn District, Hà Nội
Phù Đổng Temple, Phù Đổng Commune, Gia Lâm District, Hà Nội
- Running from the 6th day of the first lunar month to the 12th of the fourth lunar month (February 10- May 16) this festival is dedicated Saint Gióng, a legendary child hero, who fought against northern invaders to save the nation.
Hương Pagoda Festival
Hương Sơn Commune, Mỹ Đức District, Hà Nội
- One of the most crowded pilgrimage events of the north, people flock to Hương Sơn Landscape Complex to see beautiful scenery and trek up mountains to visit ancient pagodas. Runs from the 6th day of the first lunar month (February 10) to the end of the third lunar month (March).
Yên Tử Spring Festival
Thượng Yên Công Commune, Uông Bí District, Quảng Ninh Province
- Officially begins on the 10th day of the first lunar month (February 14) and lasts for three months. People flock to the mountains to visit 11 pagodas and hundreds of temples scattering on the mountains, the birthplace of Trúc Lâm Yên Tử Zen Buddist school in 12th century. The highest bronze pagoda is located 1,068m above sea level.
Keo Pagoda Festival
Duy Nhất Commune, Vũ Thư District, Thái Bình Province.
- On the 14th day of the first lunar month (February 18). The pagoda is among the most ancient pagodas in the country with its bell tower made of wood, which is considered a special art work. The pagoda worships Không Lộ (?-1119), who took care of the health of King Lý Thánh Tông(1054-1072).
Hội đền bà chúa kho - Store Goddess Temple Festival
Cổ Mễ Village, Vũ Ninh Ward, Bắc Ninh City
- Business people flock to the temple at the beginning to get a “loan” and “pay back” at the end of the lunar year. The festival opens on the 14th day of the first lunar month (February 18), when people conduct a worship ceremony to the Goddess and ask for her blessing in business. The temple is dedicated to a wife of King Lý Nhân Tông (1072-1127), who was born into a poor family in nearby Quả Cảm Village. After getting married to the king, she asked the king to return home to help locals farm. She also helped manage the State’s food storage of the royal troops by Như Nguyệt River (today’s Cầu River) during fighting against northern invaders. She died in a battle in 1077.
|Lim Love Duet Singing Festival. — File Photo|
Lim Love Duet Singing Festival
Bắc Ninh Province
- Held on the 13th day of the first lunar month (February 17)
An Dương Vương Temple Festival
Cổ Loa Village, Đông Anh District, Hà Nội
- Lasting from the 6th to the 16th day of the first lunar month (February 10-20) dedicated to Thục Phán An Dương Vương King (about 257BC-208BC) who established Âu Lạc Kingdom and built Cổ Loa Spiral Citadel.
Thầy Pagoda Festival
Quốc Oai District, Hà Nội
- On the 5th-7th day of the third lunar month (April 9-11). The pagoda is dedicated to Từ Đạo Hạnh monk (1072-1116), a talented monk under Lý reign.
Hùng Temple Festival
Hy Cương Commune, Phong Châu District, Phú Thọ Province
- From the 9th to the 13th day of the third lunar month (April 13-17) dedicated to the Hùng kings, ancestors of Vietnamese people.
Trường Yên Festival
Hoa Lư District, Ninh Bình Province
- From the 9th to the 11th of the third lunar month (April 13-15) dedicated to national hero Đinh Bộ Lĩnh (968-979), who united the country and established Đinh reign and the first independent country Đại Cồ Việt (now Việt Nam) from Chinese power.
Worshipping ceremony and lion dances to honour General Trần Hưng Đạo
36 Võ Thị Sáu Street, Dictrict 1, HCM City
- At the Saint Trần Temple, February 12-14.
|Bà Thiên Hậu (Lady Thiên Hậu) Pagoda Festival in Bình Dương Province. — Photo from tapchigiaothong.vn|
Lady Thiên Hậu Pagoda Festival
Thủ Dầu Một City, Bình Dương
- Includes Bà (Lady) palanquin procession goes throughout the Thủ Dầu Một City with unicorn, lion and dragon dances, February 17-19.
Linh Sơn Thánh Mẫu Temple Festival
Bà Đen Mountain, Tây Ninh Province
- Workshipping activities and festivities, February 14-19.
|Bà Chúa Xứ (local tutelary goddess) Festival in An Giang Province. — Photo from mytour.vn|
Bà Chúa Xứ (local tutelary goddess) Festival
Châu Đốc City, An Giang Province
- A national intangible cultural heritage, has five solemn ceremonies, including washing of the statue of Bà Chúa Xứ, May 27-31.
Thăk Kôông Festival
Châu Thành District, Sóc Trăng Province
- Also called Coconut Offering Festival, aims to pray for a good harvest and peaceful life at Mahasal Thatmon Pagoda, April 18-20.