Tuesday, October 26 2021

VietNamNews

HCM City faces supply disruption while ensuring essential goods

Update: June, 30/2021 - 15:32

 

A medic checks the temperature of a driver at a COVID-19 checkpoint in Cần Thơ City. — Photo vnexpress.net

HCM CITY — The transportation of goods from HCM City to provinces has been affected by the provinces’ restrictive measures on coronavirus outbreaks, according to the city Food and Foodstuff Association.

The Cửu Long (Mekong) Delta province of An Giang, for example, only allows drivers and loading staff who tested negative for SARS-CoV-2. However, the negative test results are only valid for 24 hours.

Prime Minister Phạm Minh Chính has called on provinces to monitor the outbreak, but at the same time ensure that economic activities are not affected.

He said that some provinces had become a bit extreme with their preventive measures, affecting supply chains.

The risk of supply disruption is also due to store chains shutting down after employees were infected with the virus or were suspected of being infected, Trần Lâm Hồng, vice chairman of the Saigon Union of Trade Cooperatives (Saigon Co.op), has said.

He said that authorities should speed up vaccinations for sales staff and workers at enterprises.

Adequate supply

"The HCM City Department of Industry and Trade has ensured a sufficient supply of essential goods and necessities. There will be no sudden price spikes or shortages of goods on a large scale. People should not hoard goods," Nguyễn Nguyên Phương, vice chairman of the department, however said.

Eight thousand tonnes of fruits and vegetables are imported and sold at Bình Điền, Thủ Đức and Hóc Môn wholesale markets daily, meeting 70 per cent of the city’s need. Supermarkets, shopping malls and other retailers supply the remaining 30 per cent.

The city also ensures a daily supply of about 700 tonnes of pork, 800-900 tonnes of seafood, one million eggs, and 250,000 poultry.

Bình Điền, Thủ Đức and Hóc Môn wholesale markets in HCM City supply 70 per cent of the city’s daily demand for fruits and vegetables. Supermarkets, shopping malls and other retailers supply the remaining 30 per cent. – VNS Photo Diệp Phan

Vissan Joint Stock Company said it was stocking 300 tonnes of fresh food and 600 tonnes of processed food, enough to meet market demand for about 7-8 days.

The company has also reserved raw materials so that it can maintain production for 4-5 months for pasteurised sausages and canned and frozen goods. In case of isolation due to the pandemic, the company will ensure production capacity at about 50 per cent of normal periods.

Nguyễn Thị Bích Vân, communication director for Thai retailer Central Retail Corporation, said: “We have prepared a large stock of essential goods and added more delivery staff to serve the sudden increase in online orders."

Large retailers, including Saigon Co.op and MM Mega Market, have started selling goods through Zalo, the free messaging app. Each store has its own Zalo number.

MM Mega Market told Việt Nam News that it was boosting multi-channel sales to offer customers convenient and safe shopping.

“MM Mega Market is making every effort to join hands with the Government and businesses to achieve the dual goal of containing the outbreak and keeping the economy on track,” Trần Kim Nga, foreign relations director at MM Mega Market, said.

Ensuring an adequate supply of goods and offering multiple kinds of purchasing methods and shopping experiences are among the effective measures that retailers have taken. — VNS

  • Tags:

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: