The scene of the fire in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Photo courtesy of Community Department at the Việt Nam Embassy in Cambodia.
Viet Nam News
PHNOM PENH — A fire broke out at dawn and quickly ripped through 59 Việt households in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, on Tuesday, reported Tuổi Trẻ (Youth) online newspaper.
As many as 69 houses in Russey Keo District in Phnom Penh were burned to the ground after a fire broke out at around 3am this morning. 59 of the homes were owned by Vietnamese nationals, according to Châu Văn Chi, President of the Việt Nam—Cambodia Association (VCA).
Vũ Quang Minh, Việt Nam Ambassador in Cambodia, told Tuổi Trẻ that officers from the Việt Nam embassy and members of the Khmer—Việt Association (KVA) quickly arrived at the scene to cooperate with Cambodian police and trace the source of the blaze.
The cause of the fire was identified as an electrical short-circuit in a household owned by Sin Yin, a 63-year-old Việt—Cambodian. The fire spread to other houses in the neighborhood due to their combustible building materials, requiring 32 firefighting vehicles to extinguish the blaze.
After the fire, embassy officers and CVA members promptly discussed urgent assistance to affected households. Together with Việt businesses in Cambodia, they planned to pay a visit to the neighborhood and provide temporary essentials while residents recovered after the fire. — VNS