|West Lake Water Park is cordoned off for investigation into the deaths of seven people at a musical festival on Sunday night. - Photo vietnamnet.vn|Viet Nam News
HÀ NỘI — Seven young adults have reportedly died of a drug overdose at a music festival in Hà Nội, an official announced on Monday morning.
Tây Hồ District People’s Committee chairman Đỗ Anh Tuấn said the victims had attended an electronic music festival Trip to the Moon at the West Lake Water Park in the district on Sunday night.
The event was part of a series of activities held for the third Vietnam Electronic Weekend, attracting thousands of young people for live music, laser shows and other activities.
According to police, Hà Nội Heart Hospital, E Hospital and Bạch Mai Hospital on Sunday night received twelve people with the same symptoms. One was dead on arrival while six died shortly afterwards despite emergency treatment.
Five remain in a coma, the police said.
The police was waiting for autopsy results to confirm the cause of death, Tuấn said. Preliminary enquiries, however, suggest that the victims died from a drug overdose as all of the victims tested positive for narcotics.
The police also found evidence of balloons – locally called “funky balls” – which contain potentially fatal laughing gas, or nitrous oxide, and other substances alleged to be narcotics at the water park.
The park is now cordoned off for further investigation. — VNS