QUẢNG NAM — Most of the people who suffered from food poisoning after eating bánh mỳ at Phượng bread shop in Hội An, Quảng Nam province, are now stable.
Mai Văn Mười, director of the provincial Department of Health, said the total number of people hospitalised was 91, including 34 foreign tourists.
Of which, 32 have been discharged and one was transferred to the Obstetrics and Pediatrics Hospital in Đà Nẵng City.
Doctor Từ Thị Ngọc Mai from Vĩnh Đức General Hospital in Điện Bàn Town said 14 victims were admitted to the emergency department on Tuesday and Wednesday after eating bánh mỳ Phượng, a famous bread brand in Hội An's ancient town.
Some of the victims have stabilised, but others still show signs of fatigue, high fever, and are being closely monitored, Mai said.
Meanwhile, a representative from Thái Bình Dương General in Hội An said that by Wednesday afternoon, nearly 100 victims had been hospitalised. The hospital is still receiving additional patients.
According to initial inspections of the provincial Food Safety Department, the food safety conditions at this bakery were found to be inadequate and did not meet the required standards.
On Wednesday afternoon, the Food Safety Department, Ministry of Health, sent a letter to the Quảng Nam Department of Health, requesting a temporary suspension of Phượng bread shop.
The agency also called for an inspection of the food safety conditions at the shop, tracing the origin of the food products, collecting samples for testing, and conducting an investigation to determine the cause of the incident. — VNS