Viet Nam News
with executive chef Patrick Ho from Fortuna Hotel Hanoi
Herald the celestial tradition of mooncake crafting with its highly anticipated selection of Fortuna Hotel’s mooncakes. Crafted with passion and flair by finest ingredients by chef Patrick Ho, try out the alluring baked classic with Lotus Seed Paste with Single Yolk that continuing to win the heart of mooncake aficionados.
Ingredients: serves 10
· 500g lotus seed paste
· 100g sugar
· 3 eggs
· 65g finely chopped walnuts
· 110g solid shortening, melted
· 875g flour
· 105g dried milk powder
· 1 lightly beaten small-sized egg yolk
· 1/4 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 20 egg yolks from salted duck eggs
- Add lotus seed paste and chopped into a large bowl. Mix evenly and set aside
- Beat eggs with a mixer to obtain a light and lemon colored mixture. Add sugar and beat for five more minutes or until the mixture falls in a thick ribbon. Stir in the melted shortening. Mix lightly.
- Sift all flour, baking powder, dried milk powder and salt into a mixing bowl, use a spatula to fold in the flour mixture. Transfer the dough out on a board. Knead for two minutes until smooth and satiny.
- Separate dough into two portions, roll each portion into the shape of a log, cut each log into ten even-sized round pieces, make each piece into the shape of a ball.
- Roll out on a board that is lightly floured to make a 10 cm circle with a thickness of 0.2 cm dough.
- Put one tsp of lotus seed paste in the middle of the round-sized dough, then add in one salted egg yolks into the middle of the round-sized dough.
- Fold in the sides to wrap in the filling and press the edges to seal.
- Put moon cake into the mooncake mould.
- Flatten the dough to allow mooncake to fit firmly into the shape of the mooncake mould.
- Remove mooncake from the mooncake mould.
- Put the mooncake on ungreased baking sheet. brush the top of the mooncake with egg yolk.
- Bake the lotus seed paste mooncake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 220°C or until the lotus seed paste mooncake becomes golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and allow mooncake to cool before serving.
You can savour the mooncake delights at Fortuna Hotel, 6B Láng Hạ St, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: (84 – 4) 3831 3333 – 6435/6437/6413. Website: firstname.lastname@example.org | fortuna.vn. Mooncake making class and mooncake and tea event are also available upon request.