|Dr. Snigdha Singh. — Photo courtesy of Family Medical Practice|
Dr. Snigdha Singh*
The rainy season can be a time of joy and rejuvenation, with the cool weather and refreshing showers. However, it can also bring with it an increased risk of fungal infections. Fungi thrive in damp and humid environments, and the rainy season provides the perfect breeding ground for these microorganisms. In this article, we will discuss some practical tips on how to protect yourself against fungal infections during the rainy season.
· Firstly, it is essential to keep your skin clean and dry. Fungi thrive in warm and moist environments, so use a clean towel to dry your skin, paying attention to the areas that are prone to sweating, such as your feet, groin, and underarms. You can also use a talcum powder or antifungal powder to keep your skin dry and prevent the growth of fungi. Use of talcum powder will also prevent it from rubbing together. Rubbing together skin can lead to a heat rash which is also quite common in hot and humid weather.
· Wearing breathable clothing is another effective way to prevent fungal infections. Synthetic materials like nylon and polyester can trap moisture and heat, creating an ideal environment for fungi to grow. Opt for loose-fitting clothes made from natural fibers like cotton or linen that allow your skin to breathe.
· You should also avoid sharing personal items like towels and shoes. Fungal infections can spread from person to person through direct contact or by sharing personal items that have come into contact with infected skin. Use your own towels, bed sheets, and clothes, and avoid sharing personal items with others. If you must share items like shoes or slippers, make sure to disinfect them thoroughly before and after use.
· Maintaining good hygiene practices is crucial to preventing fungal infections. Make sure to wash your hands regularly with soap and water, especially after using the restroom or handling pets. Keep your nails trimmed and clean, as fungi can grow under dirty or long nails.
|Maintaining good hygiene practices is crucial to preventing fungal infections. — Photo shutterstock.com|
If you suspect that you have a fungal infection, it is important to seek medical attention. Fungal infections can be easily treated with antifungal medications, but they can also become severe if left untreated.
Some common symptoms of fungal infections include:
· Redness, itching and scaling on the body, more commonly over the flexural sites like underarms and groin area.
· It can also present as moist skin with fissuring and peeling of skin in between toe fingers.
· A nail fungal infection can present as a color and textural change of the nail.
· In children, it may even involve the scalp with signs of red, scaly skin with loss of hair.
· A fungal infection known as Pityriasis versicolor can also present with multiple light colored oval patches over the upper part of trunk and arms.
· Whitish discharge or cast present over the genital area may indicate a yeast infection.
If you experience any of these symptoms, make sure to consult a healthcare professional who can diagnose and treat your condition.
Role of your immune system
· Some dietary changes can also help to prevent fungal infections. Eating a diet rich in probiotics can help to boost your immune system and prevent the growth of fungi. Probiotics can be found in foods like yogurt, kefir, and fermented vegetables. Avoiding sugary and processed foods can also be beneficial, as these foods can promote the growth of fungi.
· It is important to note that some people may be more susceptible to fungal infections than others. People with weakened immune systems, diabetes, or poor circulation are at a higher risk of developing fungal infections. If you fall into any of these categories, it is even more essential to take precautions against fungal infections during the rainy season.
By following these simple preventive measures, you can easily avoid an irritating rash. Just with a little caution and timely intervention, a fungal infection should not stop you from having fun this rainy season. Family Medical Practice
* Dr. Snigdha Singh studied a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery and a masters in Dermatology.
She specialises in diagnosing and treating a wide variety of skin disorders for both adults and children.
She can also advise on numerous skin cosmetic conditions and treating benign skin disorders by RF cautery, Cryosurgery and minor surgery as indicated.
Visit Family Medical Practice Hanoi 24/7 at 298I P. Kim Mã, Kim Mã, Ba Đình. To book an appointment, please call us at (024).3843.0784, or contact us via Whatsapp, Viber or Zalo on +84.944.43.1919 or email email@example.com.
FMP’s downtown location in Hồ Chí Minh is in Diamond Plaza, 34 Đ. Lê Duẩn, Bến Nghé, District 1, and 95 Đ. Thảo Điền, District 2. Tel. (028) 3822 7848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.