|Fire engulfs a scrap dump in Nha Trang City. — Photo news.zing.vn|Viet Nam News
KHÁNH HÒA — Over 500 students of Vĩnh Ngọc primary school in Nha Trang City of central Khánh Hòa Province were ordered to stay home on Wednesday morning.
The move was intended to prevent the children from inhaling toxic smoke from a nearby scrap dump fire.
Flames had engulfed a 500sq.m scrap dump in a residential area some 100m from the school in Xuân Lạc 1 Hamlet of Vĩnh Ngọc Commune early Wednesday morning.
Witnesses said the fire started in the dump and spread quickly. Dark smoke was reported.
There were no injuries so far.
Firefighters faced difficulty in extinguishing the flames because of the flammables such as plastic bottles and styrofoam boxes spreading across the site.
As of 4am, the fire had reignited and covered almost the entire dump.
Lê Văn Mỹ, chairman of Vĩnh Ngọc Commune’s People’s Committee, told Thanh Niên (Young People) newspaper that the fire was under control by 7am.
The case is under investigation. — VNS