Thursday, November 26 2020


Industrial zone workers struggle with daily life

Update: July, 29/2016 - 09:00
A residential quarter for workers of the Bảo Minh Industrial Zone in the northern province of Nam Định. Many workers in industrial zones still struggle with the necessities of life daily. – VNA/VNS Photo Danh Lam
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI — Although working hard everyday, workers in industrial zones still struggle with the necessities of life daily.

Nguyễn Khắc Trọng, a worker at Suối Dầu Industrial Zone in central Khánh Hòa province’s Cam Lâm District, said that the average combined salary of him and his wife per month was over VNĐ6 million (US$270).

It did not meet the spending needs of a family, he said

“With our current salaries, we cannot save any money because it is all used for daily spending that includes eating, school fees for my daughter and renting a house,” Trọng told Lao Động (Labour) newspaper.

“We don’t have money to spend for treatment if one of us becomes ill,” he said.

In his 10sq.m rental house, there was only an old TV for entertainment after each working day, he added.

Nguyễn Văn Hùng, a resident living in the central province of Phú Yên, working for Bình Tân Industrial Zone in Nha Trang City, shares a similar situation.

About VNĐ4.5 million ($200), half the combined salary of Hùng and his wife’s salary, was spent on taking care of his children in his hometown, he said.

“With VNĐ1 million ($45) for renting a house and with the remainder left for daily spending, our lives are really difficult,” Hùng said.

Workers at industrial zones were hoping that their minimum wage will be increased to help their lives become less difficult, he added.

A few workers find part-time jobs such as being a porter at markets to earn more money.

“I have no choice and have to try what I can to earn money for daily spending and to feed my newborn baby,” said Trần Ngọc Huân, a worker at Tân An Industrial Park in the central highland province of Đắk Lắk.

According to Khương Huy Hoàng, deputy chairman of the Labour Federation in Đắk Lắk Province, the current wage of VNĐ3.5-4.6 million for workers is not fair.

The minimum wage should be at VNĐ5 million per month to meet basic spending needs, Hoàng said.

In some cases, labourers’ children have had to quit their studies because their parents don’t have enough money.

“Every cost falls upon my shoulders with only VNĐ3 million a month, while my husband can’t work due to illness,” Nguyễn Thị Kim Liễu, a worker at Cần Thơ Food Company, said.

Many labourers have worked at industrial parks for nearly ten years, but they have not been able to save any money.

Their dream is to have enough money to buy a small house. But how can they get there when they don’t earn enough for daily life?

According to a report of the Ministry of Construction, 20 per cent of workers at industrial zones have stable accommodation while the remaining 80 per cent have to rent houses.

Addressing a conference to review the construction sector in the first half of the year, minister Phạm Hồng Hà said building houses for workers in industrial zones will become more of a focus in coming times to improve the living conditions for labourers there.

The ministry was co-ordinating with planning and investment and finance ministries to implement a housing development programme, Hà said.

According to Hà, demand for social housing, particularly workers’ houses, is very high.

The land required for building social housing reached 10 million sq.m in 2015, but only 3 million sq.m was available, Hà said.

Housing development projects for workers in industrial zones should be developed comprehensively to include accommodation, kindergartens, entertainment areas and hospitals to help workers stabilise their lives, he said. — VNS


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: