Wednesday, June 23 2021


5 poisoned by pufferfish, 3 critically ill

Update: March, 08/2018 - 19:00
Patients are treated for poisoning from pufferfish at the Cần Thơ General Hospital, Cần Thơ Province. - Photo
Viet Nam News

CẦN THƠ Five men were poisoned after eating deadly pufferfish, the Cần Thơ City General Hospital said on Thursday morning. Three of them are critical.

The victims, aged between 32 and 44, were transferred from their hometown to the Hậu Giang Province Hospital at 6pm on the previous day.

According to the families of the patients, the five men caught the poisonous pufferfish in the field and cooked fish soup for lunch, which they ate together. Some six hours later, all of them started experiencing stomach ache and nausea, following which they were rushed to the hospital.

While two persons had mild symptoms, such as numb limbs and stiffened jaw, three went into a coma after heart and respiratory failure. According to doctors at the Cần Thơ hospital, the three patients have little chances of survival.

Poisoning from pufferfish is not rare in Việt Nam. Last October, one fisherman was killed, and five others were poisoned after eating the fish. VNS


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: