Tuesday, February 20 2018

VietNamNews

Medical malpractice victims sue Hòa Bình General Hospital

Update: December, 16/2017 - 09:00
Doctors at Hòa Bình General Hospital take care of patients who suffered anaphylactic shock while undergoing kidney dialysis there. – VNA/VNS Photo Vũ Hà
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI — Families of the eight people who died after undergoing kidney dialysis at Hòa Bình Province General Hospital have filed a lawsuit against the hospital requesting compensation, according to Nguyễn Thị Thu, one of the family members.

Thu told the online vov.vn said on Thursday that a letter had been sent to Hòa Bình Province People’s Court.

On May 29, 18 patients underwent kidney dialysis treatment in Hòa Bình General Hospital. Soon, they reported nausea, abdominal pain and shortness of breath. The same day, eight patients died of suspected anaphylactic shock. The remaining 10 patients were transferred to Hà Nội’s Bạch Mai Hospital for emergency treatment and stabilised.

The families complained that the hospital did not comply with regulations in the process of kidney dialysis and violated professional ethics.

Tests by Ministry of Public Security’s investigation body revealed that the water used for kidney dialysis in the Hòa Bình General Hospital did not meet health standards.

The director of Hòa Bình General Hospital Trương Quý Dương was removed from the post on August 9 and criminal charges have been imposed on three people who suspected to be responsible for the incident.

Several meetings have been held between Hòa Bình General Hospital and victims’ families regarding the level of compensation, but they have failed to reach an agreement.

"Victims’ families do not agree with the compensation rates proposed by Hòa Bình General Hospital at VNĐ242 million (US$10,700) for the highest level and 136 million (US$6,000) for the lowest level. They requested compensation of VNĐ250 million per victim”, wrote Phạm Ngọc Thảo, a representative for victims’ families, in a letter sent to Minister of Health Nguyễn Thị Kim Tiến, the Lao Động (Labour) newspaper reported.

According to the victims’ families, at one meeting hospital leaders promised to cover two payments, including compensation for mental anguish and assistance for family members who were under 18. The two payments were to be paid by the hospital in advance while the funeral costs would be paid after an agreement is reached between the hospital and victims’ families. But negotiations have failed so far.

Officials from the hospital said that this was the first such incident that had occurred at the hospital; consequently, they were unsure how to solve it. They said the hospital could not afford the compensation sought by families of the victims, adding that they were waiting for written guidance from competent authorities and for the final conclusion of the investigative agency.

If they do not receive instructions, the case will be referred to the court.  — VNS

 

 

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: