|The parasite was found in brain of a 52-year-old man. — Photo nld.com.vn|Viet Nam News
HCM CITY — HCM City Medical University Hospital on Monday announced that its doctors removed a 7-cm-long parasite from the brain of a 52-year-old man.
The parasite, a type of tapeworm, was found in his motor cortex, had caused headaches and weakness in half of the patient’s body.
Doctor Nguyễn Minh Anh, head of the hospital’s Mental Surgery Department, said the location of the parasite posed high risk of paralysis to the patient.
The doctor said that the parasite was usually found in human eyes and rarely in the brain. Eating improperly cooked frogs or poultry can pass the parasite to humans. — VNS