As Tết (Lunar New Year) draws near, several Hà Nội citizens have been hospitalised with alcohol poisoning, which is often caused by home-made spirits.
More than 22,500 units in Hà Nội were found to violating food safety regulations this year after authorised inspectors examined 110,930 units, according to the city’s Health Department.
Đoàn Mạnh H., a 45-year-old heavy drinker from Hai Bà Trưng District, died of drinking methanol with water in June.
The number of methanol poisoning cases from bad-quality methanol-laced alcohol keep increasing but there has yet any quality standard for the production of traditional alcohol products, causing difficulties to keep illegal or sub-standard wines under control, experts warned.
The number of methanol poisoning cases has surged over the past three months compared with previous years, according to information presented at a workshop Monday in Ha Noi on the effect of alcohol abuse and the treatment of methanol poisoning.
A soaring number of methanol poisoning cases from bad-quality methanol-laced alcohol have substantially harmed the reputation of traditional alcohol-making villages, the Nông Thôn Ngày Nay (Countryside Today) newspaper reported.
Hà Nội investigative police has decided to prosecute a recent case of methanol poisoning that hospitalised 12 college students in the capital’s Cầu Giấy District.
The city’s market management force on Thursday seized 1,000 litres of unknown origin home-made alcohol at a local private shop.
An increase in the number of serious methanol poisoning cases reported in Hà Nội in the past several days has raised concerns among the city’s many drinkers and health authorities.
Researchers from Hà Nội Medical University have warned alcohol consumers about an increased risk of methanol poisoning from consuming improperly brewed homemade alcohol.