|The octopus bites Lâm Văn Bắc, who has overcome critical condition. — VNA/VNS Photo Huỳnh Sử|Viet Nam News
BẠC LIÊU — A six-year-old boy, who was in a critical condition after being bitten by an octopus, stabilised on Tuesday under treatment at Đông Hải District General Hospital in Bạc Liêu Province.
When Trần Văn Bắc was brought to the hospital on Monday morning, he was struggling to breathe, vomiting and itching all over, said Dr Đặng Văn Khuông, deputy director of the hospital, adding that the boy had a serious allergic reaction and was going into shock.
Nguyễn Hùng Mộng, head of the hospital’s emergency and recuperation ward, said the child may have died if he had not been hospitalised on time.
On Monday morning, Bắc and his mother Tăng Thị Thùy were checking their fish nets in Gành Hào River when he saw an octopus among the catch. When caught, the octopus had bitten the boy.
Local seamen said that of late, many octopus have been spotted in Gành Hào River, and that many people have got bitten. — VNS