with Chef Nguyen Gia Thien from HOME Restaurant
HOME Restaurant serves a range of Vietnamese dishes from authentic to fusion. Among the specials, Grilled "Cha Ca Lang" -- a Ha Noi speciality -- inspires gastronomes with its rich flavour created from well-marinated fish, aromatic spring onion and dill, crunchy roasted peanuts and a strong punch from the shrimp sauce. Let's discover the magic of the dish with Chef Quang's recipe.
- Fresh lang fish: 600g
- Spring onion: 300g
- Dill: 200g
- Peanuts: 100g
- Rice noodles: 500g
- Cooking oil: 1 litre
- Milled galangal: 300g
- Shrimp paste: 100g
- Lemon: 1
- Sugar: 50g
- Seasoning powder: 1tsp
- Chilli: 2
- Turmeric: 1 Fermented cold rice: 2tbsp
For the sauce
- Mix 3 tablespoons of shrimp paste with
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, tablespoon of lemon juice and chopped chilli in a bowl.
For the "Cha Ca Lang"
- Clean the fish and cut into square pieces, set aside.
- Mill the fermented cold rice, galangal and peeled turmeric to get the juice.
- Marinate the fish in the juice with 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of seasoning powder for about 60 minutes.
- Grill until the fish is well done and turns yellow.
- Fry the grilled fish with spring onions and dill.
- Present the fish on a plate. Serve with roasted peanuts and rice noodles.
You can taste the dish and other authentic and fusion Vietnamese dishes at Home Restaurant, 34 Chau Long Street, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi. Website: www.homerestaurant.vn