with executive chef Anders Groenholm from Angsana Lang Co Hotels & Resorts in Hue City
Central Viet Nam's cuisine is known for its unique spices and flavours. The cuisine of the former royal city of Hue, for example, was once created for kings and queens. One of Viet Nam's most popular dishes is Bun Bo Hue, a fragrant beef soup, with delicate vermicelli noodles, that has an intoxicating balance of flavours. Chef Groenholm offers his special recipe for those who want to enjoy this signature dish at home.
Ingredients for beef stock:
- 1kg beef short ribs
- 5 beef bones
- 3l water
- 6 pcs of lemongrass
- 3 pcs chilli
- 100g onions
- 200g pineapple
- 100g roasted onions
- 100g ginger
- 200g shallots
- 80g cinnamon stick
- 30g star anise
- 20g cardamom
- 10g cloves
- Mix the roasted onions, ginger, shallots, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, star anise, lemongrass, chilli, onions and pineapple.
- Add beef bones and beef short ribs in cold water and bring to boil.
- Skim off the foam. Add all the stock ingredients and bring to boil under medium heat.
- Skim off all the foam again. Reduce to low heat and let it simmer for three hours until beef is tender.
Ingredients for beef noodle soup:
- - 2l beef stock
- 1 chilli
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 5 tsp shrimp paste
- 1kg vermicelli noodles
- 20g sugar
- 10g salt
- 5g coriander
- 5g basil
- 2g ground white pepper
- Strain the stock and return the clear stock to the pot.
- Season with salt, fish sauce, sugar, chilli and shrimp paste, and keep the stock warm over low heat.
- Slice beef and set aside.
- To serve, place noodles into a serving bowl and top with the sliced beef (cooked), sliced onion, spring onion, coriander, bean sprouts and chilli.
- Add hot soup into serving bowl, sprinkle with pepper and garnish with coriander and basil.
- Serve hot with lime, chilli, spring onion, lettuce, basil, bean sprouts, sliced banana blossoms and fish sauce.
You can sample Bun Bo Hue at Angsana Lang Co's Rice Bar & Bowl restaurant. Those interested in discovering new tropical herbs and spices and learning about exciting flavours can take part in cooking classes at Angsana Lang Co or schedule a trip to its organic kitchen.
For more information or to make a reservation, contact Angsana Lang Co at +84 54 3695 800 or visit their website: http://www.angsana.com. The hotel & resort complex is located at Cu Du Village, Loc Vinh Commune in Thua Thien-Hue .