with chef Trinh Cuong from Moevenpick Hotel Ha Noi
This week, serve yourself with a sweet taste of ceviche de camerones, a flavour from Moevenpick Hotel Ha Noi.
Ingredient: serves 6
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 400g unpeeled smallish shrimp
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 30g white onion, chopped into
- 1/4 inch pcs 1 to 2 tsp Mexican bottled hot sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 cup diced peeled cucumber or jicama (or 1/2 cup of each)
- 1/3 fresh cilantro, chopped plus several sprigs for garnish
- 2g salt
- Several lime, slices for garnish
Cooking and Marinating the Shrimp:
- Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tsp of the lime juice. Scoop in the shrimp, cover and let the water return to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat, set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid.
- Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in a large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely.
- Peel and devein the shrimp if you wish: One by one lay the shrimp on your cooking surface, make a shallow incision down the back and scrape out the (usually) dark intestinal tract.
- Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
To make the flavourings:
- In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jicama and avocado.
- Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
Serving the ceviche:
- Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses, or small bowls. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime.
You can sample the dish at Moevenpick, 83A Ly Thuong Kiet St, Hoan Kiem Dist, Ha Noi. Phone: +84 4 38 22 28 00 (ext. 6133)