Tuesday, January 28 2020


Viet Nam bag ASEAN champs semi-final ticket

Update: May, 05/2015 - 09:28
Eye on the ball: Nguyen Thi Tuyet Dung of Viet Nam (right) scores a hattrick in her team's 7-0 victory over Malaysia yesterday. — VNS Photo Quang Thang
HCM CITY  (VNS) — Viet Nam beat Malaysia 7-0 at Thong Nhat Stadium in HCM City yesterday to enter the semi-final round of the ASEAN Football Federation Women's Championship.

The hosts opened the score in just about one minute when Huynh Nhu blasted in from an acute angle, even as the Malaysian defence stood stunned.

Shattered by the early goal, the Malaysian girls tightened up their game and tried

holding on to the ball for longer periods.

Just two minutes after the interval, Viet Nam's Tran Thi Hong Nhung nodded home the corner from Nguyen Thi Muon.

Nguyen Thi Nguyet slot home some 15 minutes later, before Malaysia conceded a penalty three minutes later when Norsuriani Mazli was booked for the second time.

Nhu did not waste her chance from the spot to make it 4-0.

The Golden-Ball winner, Nguyen Thi Tuyet Dung, then scored her hattrick at the 78th, 82nd, and 90th minutes to complete the second victory for the hosts in Group B.

With six points, the Vietnamese women ensured their berth in the knockout round, ignoring the result of the last round match tomorrow against the Philippines.

In an early game yesterday, a hat trick from winger Naw Arlo Wer Phaw saved Myanmar's blushes as they stormed back in the second half to beat the Philippines 4-1.

Myanmar, who suffered a 3-2 loss to Viet Nam two days ago, were under pressure from the get-go and they pressed the Philippines hard, which forced the latter to defence in numbers.

And the Philippines were disciplined at the back as they maintained their composure to look for a quick counter-attack against a speedy Myanmar bent on piling goals.

It was through one such counter that the Philippines managed to beat the odds and take the lead in the 21st minute, when off a long ball from the back, lone striker Joanna Houplin raced into the box only to be brought down by Wai Wai Aung.

The resulting penalty saw Houplin coolly striking the ball past Myanmar's keeper Mya Phu Ngon.

Myanmar stepped on the gas in search of the equaliser but, unfortunately, in the first half, the best they could hit was the crossbar off captain San San Maw and Yee Yee Oo.

The second half saw Myanmar taking a more open approach and in just five minutes they banged in the equaliser when Wer Phaw ran past his markers for a shot beyond the reach of keeper Inna Palacios.

Three minutes later, Palacios was beaten again as the Philippines defence collapsed for Wer Phaw to grab a goal.

In the 66th minute, Wer Phaw turned provider when she provided the cross for Khin Moe Wai to score.

After hitting the woodwork yet again, Wer Phaw finally grabbed her third and Myanmar's fourth as she made good on a quick counter from Khin Marlar Tun. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: